What's new

Buying a new suit (new primary suit) what color? (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just a comment - The high tech industry here is very casual - I would look at what people in the company wear in a similar position and take your cues from there
That is very good advice. But for an interview it is never wrong to wear a conservative suit, even it the atmosphere is casual.

And don’t be fooled by a casual atmosphere. In a lot of Hi-Tech places, people may wear sweaters rather than suits, but they may be expensive sweaters. And well-cut slacks.

While at another, similar company next door, everyone may wear jeans or shorts and sandals.

I’d still wear a conservative suit to the interview.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I've bought my suits at Marshall Fields department store and have been very satisfied with my purchase.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
"And don’t be fooled by a casual atmosphere. In a lot of Hi-Tech places, people may wear sweaters rather than suits, but they may be expensive sweaters. And well-cut slacks."

Absolutely. Casual doesnt mean sloppy although some people see these as being equivalent. A Nice Sports jacket should run around $500 - Slacks $100. There is a very large difference between the business culture in Dallas and Silicon Valley - I work in a company with over 35K employees - the CEO doesnt wear a suit - the only person i know who wore one was an ex boss who came from outside and only lasted a year - he was seen as inflexible and unable to fit in - had to be the suit :)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
That's my impression too; that it's maximally a good jacket and slacks; but for interviews, I'd always like to err on the side of being overdressed; plus, I need to have a good one in case I have to travel to do business with a megacorporation like I've done in the past; even if I only have to wear it a few times a year;

The funniest time I was overdressed is when I was sent out to troubleshoot/upgrade an application at a mega beer company in St. Louis. The guys I was coming to see were saying "What's wit the suit?" It was really funny; they were PH'D's and hung out and talked really rough... "Hey, you got that @%*&in' report done?" Great guys. I got ribbed good, but hey, it's better that than showing up all casual and feeling really stupid.
Thanks for the advice!
Kevin

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'm a fan of four-button black suits, but then again I'm a freak.

I'd go for a dark navy suit from a department store. That way you can get it tailored there and they will help you pick out a good shirt / tie combination. Get a couple shirts and ties for variety.

2-3 button would work fine, but try to avoid pleats on the pants - contrary to popular opinion, they are NOT slimming.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
We just had this conversation yesterday at work. Apparently, in the book "The Millionaire Next Door", it reported that most self made millionaires wear Stafford (JC Penney) suits. They look good, but aren't expensive.

I have to agree on the Dark Grey suit. It's a classic. Don't forget about the shirts and ties, as well. A fantastic dark grey suit can be ruined by a cheap tie.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
try to avoid pleats on the pants - contrary to popular opinion, they are NOT slimming.
Not true for those with a gut. Flat front trousers(of any kind) hug and provide a very visible contour of the gut. Pleated trousers provide a little shade where one cannot really tell what's gut and what's pleat.

In addition, I believe many men wear their suit pants to tight and too high. Be sure to purchase a suit that fits properly. Nothing more comical than a man walking around in a nice suit looking like Lil' Abner. If you like tight or high, put on some jeans or shorts when you get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks