What's new

Building subwoofer inclosure, plate amp (1 Viewer)

Nring

Auditioning
Real Name
nick
Looking for input, my setup is onkyo 5.1, definitive tech promonitor 1000 fronts, center and 800 rears. I have 3 jl 10w6's from back in my high school days...so sealed or ported enclosure?? Also amp recomendations believe speakers are 300 watt rated, saw bash, Dayton, yung plate amps for couple hundred bucks for 500watt models big enough?? Looking for thought input I'm fairly new to home theatre.

Nring

Auditioning
Real Name
nick
How expensive are they? Was hoping to only spend 2-300 bucks. Just moved into house and got other projects going. I'm open to an outboard though.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Another option would be the Crown XLS 1000 $230 if you wanted to stay outboard. That's the route I would go unless you're tight on space and want to integrate the amp into the box.

Nring

Auditioning
Real Name
nick
One thing I've read on some of the outboard type amps is noisy fans?? Is this common. Also what are options for turning these on and off, I know my receiver has the 2 prong receptacle on the back that turns on and off with receiver

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do not plug an amplifier into the AVR for electrical power. That is meant for CD/tape deck etc.

I've heard an EP3000 running subs. Considering the power it was producing, and subsequent SPL achieved...the fan was more than tolerable. There are videos showing how to exchange the el cheapo fans for better ones.

Afterall...you are the one with the $300 budget. Corners got cut somewhere.

You could get one from HTD as well.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've swapped the fan on my Behringer EP-2500 (now called the EP-4000). Took less than 10 minutes.

What's the ohm rating on these speakers? You can't power on one channel and two on the other. If you are putting all 3 in a shared airspace enclosure then you will need to bridge your outboard amp and that means you can't have the load dropping to less than 4 ohms for most of the amps mentioned.

Sealed vs. ported. Ported will be larger and more efficient. Sealed is smaller, less efficient and to some, more controlled. Ported usually requires a subsonic filter to be set right before the tuning frequency of the enclosure (Fb in modelling programs like WinISD or Unibox). iNuke amps don't have that. iNuke amps with DSP do. And you can EQ your subs to give a flat, in room response as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks