What's new

Building Narrow Wall within a Room for Surround Speaker Mounting (1 Viewer)

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
OK folks,

Have a house plan I like but it does not have an obvious layout in the family room for a HT. I really am not going to compromise on speaker locations, all will be acording to Dolby lab 7.1 specifications.

The prime viewing location be approximately 12 feet from the fireplace wall (fireplace will be relocated to living room), which puts the location of the left surround in an open space and no place for the rears unless they are back in the kitchen area.

Houseplan:
http://www.homeplans.com/exec/action...NLEAAAFOAKY%3d

My thought was to build floor-to-ceiling walls, 3-4 wide, at the correct speaker locations for mounting the speakers. Kind of give the room a room-within-a-room look.

Anyone done this or have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m having a hard time figuring out what that will accomplish.

One aspect you can’t get from a floor plan is respective ceiling heights. For instance, if the family room has a higher ceiling than the other rooms, the speakers could be mounted on-wall above the those openings (to the other rooms).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Right you are Wayne, sorry about the confusion. All ceilings throughout the house are 10 foot, so no real celiing height changes.

I took a snapshot of the diagram with the three narrow wall locations drawn in. They will extend floor to ceiling. (The fouth narrow wall nearest the fireplace is simply for aestetics (though, might make a subwoofer location test point))

The right surround will be located on the existing wall adjacent to the covered terrace. The left surround will be located on the narrow left wall, with the rear centers located on each of the rear narrow walls.

Trying to paste in the JPEG. If it doesn't make it, can someone tell me how to do it. (My

Thanks,
KenRen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks