What's new

Building a media server (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,,I am looking to replace my old Compaq Presario
with a newer computer and then I want to turn the Compaq into a media server for my network at home. Does anyone know of any good websites with specific step by step
instructions on how to do this? The machine does have a Pent 4 chip with 750ram. I am willing to put 4
hard drives-1-music 2-movies 3-games 4-video. Any help will be greatley appreciated.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you do put 4 drives in it you're probably going to want additionaly fans. Also, make sure the power supply can handle that load. I would be tempted to get two very large drives and partitioning them as need.

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
you're going to need an additional PCI pata card, as you can only control 4 total devices on your mobo. presuming you've got a CD/DVD, that's 3 HDs. presuming you've got a boot HD, that's 2 more. a PCI PATA card can handle 2.

No step-by-step needed, really. Basically, for the first 2 dedicated to data:
- open up machine
- plug new HDs into the onboard PATA controller
- plug in power supply (how many watts is yours - you may need a new one).
- turn on PC.
- run diskmgmt.msc to make sure all are formatted and have partitions setup
- have fun

If you buy a PCI PATA card, then:
- open up machine
- plug in new card
- plug new HDs into both the onboard PATA controller and PCI hard
- plug in power supply (you'll definitely need a new one)
- turn on PC
- run diskmgmt.msc
- have fun

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you're buying the drives, then buy four really big ones (300-500 gigs) and a RAID card from 3ware.com (the four port cards aren't obscenely pricey.) Then make one volume out of the drives in a RAID5 array; you lose one drives worth of storage but gain resiliency - any one drive can break and you won't lose data.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks