What's new

FreeNAS NAS/Plex Media Server (Supermicro Chassis) (1 Viewer)

dorito777

Agent
Real Name
Dori
I am looking for recommendations for a server rack for my home theater. It will be a FreeNAS build using the following chassis: Supermicro 846BE16-R1K28B

I am looking for something with a glass door or something along those lines. Something aesthetically pleasing. It will be tucked away in a closet in the back of the theater, but would like it to be relatively quiet with a decent configuration for cooling. It needs to fit that chassis so it should be a depth of at least 28". I am looking for something greater than 30U ideally. I am not a frequent shopper for racks, so I am not sure what are good models or brands. They are not common purchases, so the reviews on most of them are non existent. I don't want to spend $1500 on something that is a gamble.

Just looking for recommendations on models or brands.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
There's nothing wrong with pushing a stack of electronics out of sight, but there's a couple things you might not have considered:
  • The rack itself needs to be grounded
  • convection is not sufficient to keep a computer cool in a(n enclosed) small room
If noise is a concern, it would be more cost-effective to first replace cooling fans with quieter versions (see https://www.quietpcusa.com/ ) before resorting to sound-dampening materials.

As far as server cabinets are concerned, they're built to standards. The variation you're likely to see between brands involves weight limits, "mounting" (wheels, bolt-down, stabilizer feet), depth greater than the normal 32 inches, or additional hardware like power distribution, storage bins, air circulation, and/or sound deadening.
Another thing to watch out for is that server rack posts have square holes and require cage nuts & screws, as opposed to the tapped screw holes in telecom & live sound posts mounts (the screws are not interchangeable.)

...having typed all this, I have no problem pointing you to Newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100283193 601295089

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks