What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' Season 1 dvd challenge! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Pardon? I posted that I picked up the slim sets and then you asked what they look like and so I answered you. Mine was a simple post that wasn't intended or designed to start a debate about the packaging.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was referring to your post where you mentioned buying the season 3, 4 and 5 slim sets.

ethanTo chimed in, as did I.

What's the big deal, anyway?

Does any of this really matter - relax...I wasn't even serious about that reply to Scott 's request.

This ain't a Star Wars thread, you know.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I assume it is ok to start on the next disc?

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date:

To me, this is the first episode that starts to show the series’ true identity. Buffy has to deal with trying to have a personal life, and finds she really can’t really do it. Giles starts to show he is more than just a “stuck up English git”. The dynamic of all the main Scoobies seems like it starts to gel by this episode.

Buffy gets in some pretty good one-liners but one part of the dialog seems strange to me. When Buffy is trying to tell Giles that “this is the 90’s, the 1990’s…” the part where she says “in point of fact” seemed weird to me. I guess every writer can’t be perfect all the time.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Alright, well if you weren't serious why didn't you include a smilie to indicate that? It would have helped, Nicholas.

And yes, i'm aware that this isn't a Star Wars thread, if it were this thread would be 500 pages long by now and we'd all be carrying pitch forks and torches asking for Joss Whedon's head because of the blingual packaging. ;)

Anyway, moving on.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Notice the look Buffy gives Angel when she says under her breath, 'bite me'? Since I saw these after they originally aired, looking back I believe this was a bit of a clue to what would follow...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
...of course she could have said 'write me', as in write me a bunch of notes to help me out with my history homework
as I mentioned in an older post, where his identity is revealed...

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
LOL Nick...

The Pack:

I really liked the way Xander and the others of the pack slowly changed. They were getting really creepy by the time they had the pig feast.

I can’t figure out why when they showed the cage that the pig was in, they showed it all torn up. Why wouldn’t they just open it up?

I really loved the Willow line about the mating Zebras: “It was like the Heimlich, with stripes!”

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Opening that cage properly wouldn't exactly be the primal, predatory thing to do. After all...they're hyenas!

I suppose Vampires could stick straws into the jugulars of their victims...it would be a more polite thing to do that full-on chowing down on someone's neck....

What the hell am I saying....

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Teacher's Pet

When I first saw this episode it wasn't one of my favorites but now that I have seen the entire series when I go back to those episodes that I didn't intially like I find myself liking them now. And that is what has happend with Teacher's Pet, on 3rd viewing (I watched the series once on FX and once on DVD but only up to Season 6-Entropy because I broke up with my stupid boyfriend) I enjoyed this episode much more. It's probably because I know what Xander is really all about now so the scenes with him I really appreciate now.

So Season 1-Disc 1 is finished. I have to say, for a new series those first 4 episodes were pretty good. Which is why the show went on to be a success I'm sure. On that disc my favorite episode is Witch.

Ok, it's Monday so that means it's time for Disc 2. Those episodes include:

"Never Kill a Boy on the First Date"
"The Pack"
"Angel"
"I Robot, You Jane"

Enjoy!

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
QUESTION: I know some of you think that one disc per week is not much to watch and wish we would speed up the pace a little. Well, like I said I don't think I could do more than one disc per week but that's really for the Fall when all the shows start up again. Since it is the summer I think I could possibly squeeze in two discs per week between now and September. I was thinking, we could do TWO discs of "Buffy" per week until after we finish Season 3. Then we will go back to one disc per week because we will also be adding in one disc of "Angel" per week, which will be two discs per week total. Which, I will have to find time for somehow when the all the regular TV season shows start up anyway. So, why not just do it now too?

That means we would also watch Season 1-Disc 3 this week:

"The Puppet Show"
"Nightmares"
"Out of Sight, Out of Mind"
"Prophecy Girl"

Does that sound good to everyone?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Angel:

Why did angel revert to his vamp face when he kissed Buffy?

Darla using guns seems way out of character.

I still find it very creepy having an adult kissing a 16 year old girl. That is not legal, yet seems to be accepted in this series.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Are you trying to find concrete reality in a fantasy series like this?

Keep in mind, Darla's 'character' wasn't developed yet. Everything she does here was long before we as an audience got to really know her.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, in all fairness... Buffy isn't the ONLY show out on DVD I watch, I'm also coincidingly going through Golden Girls season 5 (have the last disc to go), Medium season 1 (have the last episode to go, have a review copy) as well as going back through the Three's Company, Desperate Housewives and Sex And The City sets. There are more shows out there I'm watching and devoting time to than Buffy, and at the same time, I do more than just watch TV-DVD's.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Who is that comment directed towards, Jay B? Me? In response to my suggestion we watch 2 discs per week until we get to the end of Season 3?

I think the majority of the people would like to pick up the pace. And like I said, when we get to Season 4 and include Season 1 of "Angel", we will be watching two discs per week then anyway so why not just start now?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I see no reason to change the posting frequency - what I mean by that is, speeding up or slowing down the number of episodes you watch shouldn't have much of an impact on participating in this thread - especially for people who have seen the series and still remember it enough to make comments as the thread progresses.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

I'm not really talking about the people who are just posting/reminising about the series. My suggestion is for the people who are actually watching the series all over again, and gonna watch "Angel" all over again too, or for the first time whatever the case may be. The reason I started this thread in the first place.

So, since I am the starter of this little challenge I have decided to change things up. We will now be watching TWO discs per week.

This is how it will go:
Week of 6/5: Buffy S1 - D2 & D3
Week of 6/12: Buffy S2 - D1 & D2
so on and so forth until we get to ...
Week of 7/24: Buffy S4 D1 & Angel S1 D1
Week of 7/31: Buffy S4 D2 & Angel S1 D2
so on and so forth until we get to the end of Buffy S7/Angel S4
Then we will watch Angel S5 D1 & D2...Angel S5 D5 & D6.

This way we will end a lot sooner too.

I'm sorry about the confusion and changing of my mind. I'm just trying to go with the flow or what seems to work best. Since this is the first time I've ever done something like this (starting a watching challenge), I'm learning as I go. So, bear with me guys. I mean, I'm cute, you can't be too upset with me. :D

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Here's an example of what I meant:

Let's say you watched disc 1, and will start disc 2 tonight.

You made comments/reviews about disc 1 but will wait until you watch disc 2 to do the same.

Let's say I jumped ahead and watched discs 1, 2 and I'm moving onto 3.
I could either wait until everyone else is caught up to me before posting anything, or just post about the first 2 discs even though I watched them already.

Someone else could still be waiting to start disc 1, but has already seen the show, remembers it, and chooses to make comments before actually viewing it.

It's really open-ended.

I personally am not posting episode-to-episode, but instead I watch a few, then post whatever comes to mind about them.

Are you as confused as I am after reading what I said? I don't even know if I made any sense....

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks