What's new

'BUFFY' & 'ANGEL' S4/S1 DVD Challenge (1 Viewer)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone. Sorry I am late getting this thread started. I got busy at work yesterday and forgot.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend. I know I did. Partially because I watched 6 episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". I had to put the show on hold to watch Season 2 of "Veronica Mars" on DVD but after I was done with that I got all caught up to where I need to be to start Season 4 of "Buffy" and Season 1 of "Angel".

That's right, this is the point where we incorporate "Angel" into our viewing schedule. I don't know about you guys but I'm excited about watching the two shows back-to-back since I never did that before. I got hooked on both "Buffy" and "Angel" after the fact and watched them seperately. On a personal note, I'm also excited about watching "Angel" with John W. because this will be his first time watching it and it's always fun to see a show thru someone elses eyes who has never seen it before.

Ok, let's get on with the show. I came up with a viewing schedule suggested by Daryl L in the “BuffyAngel Viewing Order” thread. I have the schedule already made up for those two seasons, which will take us from the week of 9/4/06 to the week of 11/13/06. Here is the schedule for this week:

B4x01: The Freshman
A1x01: City of ….
A1x02: Lonely Heart
B4x02: Living Conditions

I'm also gonna provide the schedule for next week in case anyone wants to watch ahead.

WEEK OF 9/11/06
B4x03: The Harsh Light of Day (crossover episode)
A1x03: In the Dark (crossover epsiode)
A1x04: I Fall to Pieces
B4x04: Fear, Itself

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Freshman:

It is a whole new world for Buffy. She doesn’t seem to like the college life.

Did anyone else want to kill that jerk teacher that told Buffy to get out?

Why does Buffy get her butt kicked by Sunday? She has beaten Spike and Angelus yet she can’t even beat this one. What makes her so special?

I liked the small cross-over with the Angel series. Buffy received a call with nobody on the other end of the line. Then in Angel, they showed him calling buffy and just hanging up.

Living Conditions:

Truly a roommate from hell. LOL

Willow is definitely getting hot by this season.

------------------------------------------------------------
Angel

The first few episodes spent a lot of time getting people up to speed on the characters. It is sort of funny that there was a lot of explaination at the beginning. I would think that there were not many people watching that hadn't been a Buffy watcher.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I was one of those few, and welcomed the introduction.

Like Wendy, I don't like 'reviewing' episodes either. I just like talking about certain aspects of them, little things that catch one's attention, etc.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Freshman

I watched this last night and to answer Scott's questions...

Yes, I did. I thought that was totally uncalled for. Unfortunately, I ran into a few teachers like that while I was in College. Really makes a kid want to learn, doesn't it. Jerk!

I don't think Sunday was all that special, I just think that when she first attacked Buffy it was during a moment of weakness. You know, how she was feeling very overwhelmed in the new environment, etc. By the end of the episode Buffy started getting her bearings and she kicked her ass.

Oh... so, that's who that call was from. I'll have to remember that when we watch Episode 1 of "Angel" so I can point that out to John. We couldn't watch the first episode of "Angel" last night because John doesn't have the DVD yet, he won't get it this weekend.

Living Conditions

Great episode! I forgot how funny that episode was. I really enjoyed it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hey, guys, long time no see from me, sorry about that, the thing with me is when I go to write a review, I tend to really get into it and go on a little long, I just got a little burned out, that's all, I also fell so hopelessly behind that it took the wind out of my sail so to speak.

I'm rejoining but i'll keep my reviews smaller ans simpler, I have been reading the threads, though. And yes! I am looking foreward to starting the now legendary Angel, it's so funny, i've heard so much about this show over the years that it's almost taken on mythical status lol.

I also plan to pick up the slim sets when they're released. :emoji_thumbsup:

Freshman

Buffy seemed to return to square one here, she returned to how she was in Welcome to the Hellmouth, lost, new and caught a little off her guard.

She bounced back quickly though by whipping Sunday's undead ass lol.

Living Condidtions was great! It's always nice to see the occasional episode where things are played for laughs without all the heavy overtones that are usually associated with the show. Fav line was from the daddy demon...

"Do you know how much trouble your in young lady?"

and her response...

"I'm 3000 years old, when are you going to stop treating me like i'm 900!?"

:laugh:

That's very cool about that cross-over moment with the phone call from two different perspectives, I had a feeling that it was him calling.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
When Angel picks the phone up, you hear Buffy on the other end, but he nervously puts the phone down. It's a subtle, yet powerful moment.

Did anyone notice Angel's cameo in the Buffy episode, where she thinks she sees him but it's someone else?

It probably won't happen for you, but since I had never seen Buffy, and didn't know anything about Angel at all, when I first saw the teaser of the pilot "City Of" (clever title) I was hooked...I had never seen that kind of character on TV before. And don't get me started on how much I LOVE the theme music and title sequence...Woo Hoo!!!

You are in for a hell of a ride!

I will be watching the original WB teaser promos before every episode of ANGEL...take me back to 1999 in a way.

Remember, everyone - John especially:

Sunday September 17 is the last day of the WB as we know it, and they will broadcast not only the 2 part Buffy pilot, but the ANGEL pilot as well.

They will also feature original promos for the shows, and some retrospective interviews.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think it's kinda funny that WB will be airing the Angel pilot BEFORE the Buffy pilot, it kinda defeats the purpose considering Angel is extremely mysterious when we first meet him on Buffy.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cut'em some slack - it's a 'farewell' broadcast.

When the WB cancelled ANGEL, I hated that network for making such a stupid choice. When they also cancelled another dear favorite - Everwood...well let me just say I won't miss The WB when its gone, and that's the nicest thing I have to say about it.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, at least Supernatural is renewed, if that show didn't make the CW cut (IMO, the best Joss Whedon show that ISN'T a Joss Whedon series), I would've boycotted the network outright, and that would be painful because I am getting into Veronica Mars and will be caught up on DVD in time for season 3's premiere.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Let's just hope that our beloved Veronica Mars survives! :frowning: I hear that this new network will be a real ballbuster in terms of tolerating low ratings.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Being in Canada, UPN, WB and now this CW are only available to me as a premium channel if subscribed to the Canadian equivilent to HBO, called "The Movie Network".

I used to have it, and LOVED watching the Los Angeles WB channel KTLA...3 hour time difference meant I could watch an 'encore' of sorts, and it was fitting that I watch ANGEL on an L.A. based channel.

However, since a local Canadian channel picked up Veronica Mars, and is currently airing Season 3 leading up to the season 3 premiere, and with the cancellation of Everwood, I have no reason to watch CW at all, even if I had that channel.

I have a Buffalo-based WB channel I can watch the final broadcast on (Buffy, ANGEL, Dawson's Creek and I think another show pilot will air) the 17th.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Ok, it's Monday and time for the schedule for the week. For some reason Netflix is taking their sweet 'ole time sending me Disc 1 of "Angel" so I still haven't watched any episodes. But I should get the disc in the mail today so as soon as I get it in I will get caught up and post my thoughts.

Here is this week's schedule:

B4x03: The Harsh Light of Day (This and A1x03 are the first real cross-over)
A1x03: In the Dark
A1x04: I Fall to Pieces
B4x04: Fear, Itself

And here is the schedule for next week in case anyone wants to watch ahead:

WEEK OF 9/18/06
B4x05: Beer Bad
B4x06: Wild at Heart
B4x07: The Initiative

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

you don't like Supernatural? it's closer to Angel than anything else on television currently.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've seen a lot of commercials, but I've never actually watched the show.

Not because I didn't want to, but because I never gave it any thought.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
ohhh, Amy Acker and Julie Benz both had guest spots in season 1 (Amber Benson's going to be recurring in season 2). If you like Joss' type of writing, you'd love the show, plus it actually takes the horror element one step further than Buffy and Angel did, there are moments on that show that make "The Gentlemen" in Hush look like childs play. It's the best horror show out right now, and you can tell that Eric Kripke pays homage to Joss with his writing style.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I never like jumping into a show already several seasons into its run, so I always wait until it airs in reruns from the beginning before watching it. The commercials I saw did make it look good, but I have no intention of watching until season 1 airs in reruns, whenever that will be.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, season 1 just ended and came out on DVD, if you really wanted to get into the show, you have 2 1/2 weeks to go through season 1 before season 2 premieres

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

I'm a hugh fan of Angel and to a much lesser extent Buffy. I know that quote is aimed at someone else but I watched an episode or two of Supernatural and I really couldn't get into that series. I tried watching it at the beginning of last season but I suppose it got better as the season went on. My problem was I had no VCR or PVR in order to record any programmes so I would miss two out of four episodes. Since I recently purchased a PVR through StarChoice, that will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks