What's new

Buena Vista opening floodgates with catalog releases ? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
DVDFile also reported today all of the 8/13 titles WILL be in their OAR, MSRP will be $19.95 each, and the only features on them will be a trailer (if that).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
DVDFile also reported today all of the 8/13 titles WILL be in their OAR, MSRP will be $19.95 each, and the only features on them will be a trailer (if that).
Dammit! I was so hoping for a special edition of ED WOOD, with Time Burton's commentary at least... :frowning:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that we're finally gonna see Ed Wood on DVD and in it's OAR and anamorphic, but I have to wonder what Buena Vista is thinking.
It won't stop me from purchasing it, but a bare-bones edition is pretty lame.
And why BV "snuck in" this release (which happens to be Burton's best film, and one of the best of the 90's) with a bunch of third-rate films is beyond me.
Do they honestly believe that Ed Wood is in the same garage-league as the rest of these films?
Ed Wood is a gem and BV doesn't even realize it.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
DVDFILE has officially listed Ed Wood and several others for August 13th. I hope to God that they give this movie it's proper due. At the very minimum Anamorphic OAR, but I would kill for a Burton commentary & Ed Wood biographer commentary.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
count me in for all the Ernest titles and Ed Wood. Now... if they would only release the Ernest TV Show in box sets... I would be in Hog Heaven :)
"hey Vern!" :D

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Ed Wood is a gem and BV doesn't even realize it.
As do very few film-goers. The film tanked, big time, when it was released and not even a couple of Oscars have seemed to have helped this film out of its cult-status to a more mainstream audience. Perhaps if Universal owned the film, we'd see a decent SE, but Disney seem intent on churning out their catalogue titles much in the same way as MGM, although Disney are at least consistent with anamorphic treatment of their films. I agree Ed Wood needs a special edition, but after Disney stopped licensing its product to Criterion, the chances of that happening pretty much vanished.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
As do very few film-goers. The film tanked, big time, when it was released and not even a couple of Oscars have seemed to have helped this film out of its cult-status to a more mainstream audience.
You're 100% correct here.
Even though Ed Wood was Burton's most critically acclaimed film, it faired the worst (and by a large amount) of his "major" films at the boxoffice:
$40 M....Pee-Wee
$73 M....BeetleJuice
$251 M..Batman
$56 M....Edward Scissorhands
$163 M..Batman Returns
$38 M....Mars Attacks
$101 M..Sleepy Hollow
$180 M..POTA
$6 M......Ed Wood

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
If I don't get my hands on a DVD of ROCKETMAN
sometime soon, I'm gonna scream bloody murder.
Widescreen, bloopers, commentarie(with Harland Williams), a documentary called A Baker Under My Bed: Making Rocketman, deleted scenes both in and out of the movie...:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
&ltadministrators forgiveness&gt
I just spoke with a Disney rep who told me that I'm the only person who's called to ask for OAR/16x9 for any of these upcoming titles, whereas they've received hundreds of calls asking that many of these titles be released in the full-frame format. This rep wasn't talking about the calls that they've *personally* received either. They were telling what complaints/requests had been logged into the database.
PATHETIC
You know that really, REALLY hard almost impossible thing to do to tell Disney DIRECTLY and EXACTLY how you feel to effect DIRECT change in their polilty...that little 1-800-72-DISNEY phone number?
You haven't called it.
While you all have been whining and complaining about how terrible and horrible Disney is, on this cute little forum out in cyberspace, HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE have been calling that TOLL FREE phone number and telling Disney that they don't like black bars on their TV and that they want their Disney DVDs to "fill their (4x3) screen".
So Disney said to themsevles...well...we've got hundreds of consumers pro-actively calling us and telling us what they want...and they all want the same thing. Ok, that's what we'll do".
Yes, people, shocking as it may be, had all those moms and dads decided to get some silly on-line petition going or even more apethetically just ranted and raved about their letterboxing aversions on some internet forum, Disney would NOT be changing their policy toward OAR on family/B titles as they are now doing.
Don't you get it? Am I the only one smart enough to figure out that since DISNEY has provided a means of directly contacting them with consumer feedback...and proven their responsiveness to this line of communication by honoring the desires of the hundreds of callers who've complained about letterboxing...that if we want to effect a change in the pro-OAR direction we should call too?
No...that can't be...you're all smart 16x9 5.1 warry people. Some of you are even smart enought to understand what PCM/DTS/and Dolby Digital all mean. Some of you even understand really fancy/techy things like progressive-scan and 3-2 pulldown. But you'd rather just complain vapidly into space rather than actually have Disney change their plans and release these titles OAR 16x9? hmmm.
So I've got it. You all don't have access to telephones to make 1-800 toll-free calls because you're using the phone line for the internet!
Plan:
1. log-off your dial-up connection.
2. Call 1-800-72-DISNEY
3. Tell them that you want OAR (and 16x9) for *all* titles, including family and catalog "B" titles.
4. log back on your internet connection.
5. Post here telling people how rather than just complain like some news-group junky, you've actually placed a real and meaningful vote with Disney for our cause.
If everyone who read this thread *today* called Disney and said the above, Disney would change their DVD-release policy. I don't think you get it. Disney *wants* to do OAR and 16x9 WS...their own artists made these movies. Their decision to go 4x3 full-frame is soley and completely based on the consumer feedback they've been getting from people calling 1-800-72-DISNEY.
Why don't you?
Disillusioned and let down by members of this forum who'd rather prattle with useless complaing than do one simple thing to really, actually, make a difference,
David Boulet.
&lt/administrators forgiveness&gt

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'm making a special section on the ole' Disney website to get more people to call this number. I find it ridiculous that people are not calling. For every one of you who does not call, there's going to be a Joe Six-Pack who does not know what's going on with the black bars and DOES call to complain. And in that situation, that Joe Six-Pack decides how future releases will be handled in your beloved format!

CALL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks