What's new

Budget SMALL speakers (1 Viewer)

JeffreyG

Agent
OK...been looking along time at a system..I got my DVD (JVC with DVD Audio - $149) and will be getting the Onkyo 600. So now I need a 5.1 speaker system. Here is the catch...I have a budget of around $400 probably and they need to be small. My wife wants small speakers. I know the JBL NSP are popular with everyone, but not with her.

Can anyone lead me to a speaker system...I have spent soooo much time researching that my head is pretty much mush now.

Thanks in advance...

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
If you could add a little more money you'd be in the territory of one of the best $500 speakers, the Energy Take 5+1. A super small system. Don't know anybody who bought it and disliked it. Give it a try even if it is difficult to find. Canadians make great speakers.

JeffreyG

Agent
I need to look at the Klipch speakers...I looked at the Energy Plus 1, but the place didn't have them hooked up right and the subwoofer wasn't working, so wasn't a fair shot. Even the Energy's my wife was concerned at the size. What about the JBL 135 or 150 set up?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
JeffreyG,
I think your best option is JBL NSP1 with a sub maybe a PB12 that you can get for a little more that $500 online.
But if your wife doesn't like them, dont buy them, maybe you can check the smaller series from JBL (HT in a box) like
http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...17&image1.y=17[/url]
JBL SCS135SI 6-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package $260
JBL SCS150SI Home Theater Package $350
Plus Shipping.
I still think the NSP1 is a better option, but this could work for you also.
Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularch

Colin-K

Agent
Yes, you must check out the klipsch. For the money you can't beat them. Also, they're a great line for upgrading. Also, check out www.ubid.com There might be something you like there.
Link Removed

JeffreyG

Agent
I have heard about the JBL NSB, but wife doesn't like them. I need to find a place that has the quintets and listen to those, I guess.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Search the forums for the

JBL SCS135SI 6-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package
JBL SCS150SI Home Theater Package

And if you can, audtion them.

Pablo Abularach

Colin-K

Agent
Oh,

You’re looking for mini systems:

Definitive Technology or
Paradigm

If you like the Klipsch Quintet speakers they're out there for cheap. I know ubid has some.

I've heard Canton and Energy are nice, but I've never seen them.

I'd skip on the Cambridge. Bose sound better.

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Energy Take 5.2 speakers, great soundstage for such a small speaker. I do have a SVS sub with them though.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
$400 is a fairly small budget for all 6 speakers, including the sub. You might check your local A/V stores to see what kind of speakers they might have on used speakers.

JeffreyG

Agent
Just got back from local a/v store. Listened to the Quints...nice. But let me know what you think about this offer...

Listened to Boston Acoustic System 8000 w/ Sub. I can this system plus the Integra 5.3 unit for $1,000. Good offer/idea?

Thanks

On your original question, i.e. small speakers. You may want to see if you can find the Acoustic Research HC6 package (about $400 at etronics.com) and show them to your wife.

They're small (though not as small as you say whe wants), they're gorgeous, and may have the WAF you need. That being said, the JBL NSP package is probably the best in your price range, although I respect the opinion of those who disagree.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I have also read good reviews of the AR HC6 package, but haven't been able to find a place to listen to them either. Another poster found a Atlantic Technology system similar in size to the AR HC6 and it had good reviews also. (It was something 70? maybe T70? I think somebody had a package of the AT and the Onkyo...maybe Onecall?)

JeffreyG

Agent
Well, I went and did it. My wife went with me and she loved the little Boston Acoustics. So I got the Boston Acoustics System 8000 and an Integra 5.3 receiver for $1000. May not be the best, but I really liked the sound of it. Now the fun part...hooking it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks