What's new

Budget Recommendations (1 Viewer)

snatch13

Auditioning
Real Name
Collin Galganski
Hey, I am new to this forum, but not new to forums so I know this kind of sounds like a noob post.

But, I am a college student looking to put together a decent "theater" in my room in my apartment. The downfall is that I don't have a anything yet since I have only been moved out for about a year. My budget is around $2k. I'd like to stay around/under that mark.

Although my room is small I was thinking about getting a projector. Any thoughts or comments on this? I was looking at the BenQ MP620p projector.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MP620p.htm
The things I liked about it were the price, HD compatability, and the brightness. Also, it would be placed only about 7 feet from the wall/screen so this one would seem to do the job for that. Plus, projecting on a wall/screen would create a farther distance from where I would be sitting, so I could get a larger screen.

From there I was looking at this Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-576...&s=electronics
I was looking to spend between 350-500 on a receiver, so if you have any other suggestions I'm all for it.

As for speakers I really don't have the slightest clue. I'd like some fronts and a center speaker that can mount on the wall (like the cinemavision speakers) becasue I don't have a lot of space. I would consider some sattelites, but would obviously like to spend more on the other 3 speakers.

This probably seems like a broad post, but I'd like to get some people's opinions on the receiver/projector and also suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
For that projector at 7' you'll get a screen size of 51" diag. First $1000 gone.

Are you planning on getting a screen or projecting this on the wall? (Screen $500). You're budget is pretty much gone and we don't have interconects, source equipment, Receiver, Speakers or sub....

Are you planning on mounting the projector to the ceiling? (another $50-100)

Plus you are living in an apartment so you will have drywall repair when you move.

Combined with the Receiver that you are looking at which doesn't have any video up conversion and no component Video Swithing you will have to One component cable for your HD equipment and Composite for everything else even if you have other other component sources. Depending on the lengths of the runs from your equipment to the projector plan another $200 on just cables,

Are you planning on HD-DVD or Blue Ray? The projector only has one component video input, so if you have more that one Component Video source you have no video switching through the yamaha you are looking at.

I'm not even sure what to start suggesting at this point... but think about the above.....

Anyone else help me out here...... I'm kinda at a loss.....

Almost sounds like you would be better off with a different setup all together. Maybe like a 42" Plasma Monitor, a better Reciever with video upconversion and then you'll have a little left for speakers etc...

At that short of viewing distance even an ED 42" Plasma Monitor can be purchased for only $999.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sylva...oductDetail.do

No mounting, shorter video cables and you can do everthing on a nice TV/Audio Stand and save the rest for a better receiver, speakers and source equipment.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
On your budget here's what I would put together:

TV: 32" HDTV LCD, $750 (no name brand)
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5960, $350
DVD Player: Oppo 970, $150
Speakers: Hsu Ventriloquist VT-12, $200 (satellite speakers, you can upgrade these later)
Subwoofer: Hsu STF-2, $400
Surge Protector: $50
Cabling: $100

Total: $2,000

Then I would spend the next 2 years building on the speakers, starting with bookshelves for the front, with a matching center. Then trade up the subwoofer by selling this one on Audiogon. Invest slowly and you can build an excellent system over time. :)

snatch13

Auditioning
Real Name
Collin Galganski
ha sorry see cars are my forte... definately not any of this stuff... the reason I was considering the projector is that I could project it on the wall which it wouldnt be right in my face, because with any sort of tv, its going to be probably 3-4 feet viewing distance, on the wall it would be around 6 feet.

Granted 51 inches isn't that big for a projector, sitting about 6 feet away, its going to be plenty big I would think. We have a 42" DLP in our living room and its a good size for sitting about the same distance or a little farther away.

as for the receiver, I really wasn't looking for the video aspect, is that something I need? I was just looking to run all the audio through it.

Thanks for the post, I've been doing lots of reading the last week, just thought I'd ask for some opinions now, I'm looking to buy sometime soon before Christmas.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
What DLP do you have?
Yes you will only get 9" more investing in a projector. Doesn't sound like any improvement especially if you are just going to project it on the wall.

I'd stick with your current DLP and think more about the sound end of things.

That frees up a good $700-$1000 on just the monitor.

You could even get into a nice HDMI Upconverting Receiver like the Denon 2307ci for $799. And still have $1200 for speakers etc..
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3255.asp

snatch13

Auditioning
Real Name
Collin Galganski
Alon, thanks for the response.

My problem with LCD's is that I've seen some (even name brands) with burned out pixels. Now is it that noticeable, maybe, maybe not. But I will look into them, maybe its just a really bad idea, but I do like the idea of the projector.

homthtr - the DLP is in our living room, we all share it...this would be for my room.

I know I have a lot more research to do, but I appreciate the help.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
A 1366 x 768p LCD has 1,049,088 pixels. Many LCD's may have 5 or less dead pixels (e.g. 0.000005% dead pixels). I can assure you this certainly wouldn't be noticable, and shouldn't factor into your decision. :)

But I certainly wouldn't discourage you from purchasing a projector.. What is the lighting environment in the room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks