What's new

Brokeback Mountain 4/4 (see post #94) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, I was hoping that this thread
would move along in a positive direction
without someone coming in here and making
pointedly negative comments about the film's
theme.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing
this film when it arrives on DVD. I just
finished reading a review in the December issue
of Rolling Stone Magazine -- one of many
reviews that praises this film for its acting,
direction and powerful storytelling. I haven't
read anything negative from any critic that even
hints at the film's theme.

I am not very good at being eloquent with
words, so please allow me to say the following
in the best way I can....

The greatest thing about film is its ability
to open our eyes to stories and themes that
we may not necessarily agree with, but nonetheless
can often appreciate its point-of-view.

I'm very happy that audiences and critics got
past the film's trivial theme to make Brokeback
Mountain
one of the best films of the year.

I anxiously await to see it.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Ronald,
It is an extraordinary film and should be viewed with an open mind. The problem with most message boards is that it gives 'faceless' people a forum to be rude or obnoxious. Generally this message board is filled with much respect and enthusiasm, which is why I like it. Thanks for your kind post and I look forward to your thoughts in the future.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It FINALLY opens in my area this weekend. Can't wait to see it. Will be interesting to see how it does at the box office.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
The film opens here today and the multiplex that is showing it placed it in its largest theater. Well, I just found out that the seven o'clock and nine o'clock shows for both Friday and Saturday night are already sold out! That's kind of amazing, considering this is North Carolina, home of Jesse Helms. The film's arrival is a big deal around the place where I work. We are one of NC's largest gay-owned and operated companies. The owner of the company and his partner are seeing the film right now and I'm leaving in about an hour to meet my better half for the late matinee showing. Our company sponsors the North Carolina Gay and Lesbian Film Festival every year in Durham, NC, so we see a lot of gay-themed films, but I guess this one is special because it is a gay film from a major studio, a well-respected director, featuring real stars. I can't wait!

Oh, and I want to add that the film is NOT about gay cowboys.
It is about two young men, Jack and Ennis, who are hired, respectively, as a SHEEP HERDER and a CAMP TENDER for one summer by the Farm and Ranch Employment sheep operation north of Signal, Wyoming. There are no cowboys in it.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kyle. You're right....partially. Jack temporarily makes some money on the side as a rodeo "cowboy" while Ennis makes it a point in several scenes to discuss how much he hates the rodeo.
My point was that it cheapens the film to label it a gay cowboy movie. Especially since they are hired to herd sheep during ONE summer in a film that spans about 15 years. And that Jack's rodeo gig lasts about two or three years before he meets his wife and settles into 1970's suburban domesticity.
The majority of the film occurs while Ennis is making a living as a ranch-hand/jack-of-all trades while Jack is making a comfortable living by selling industrial farm equipment and machinery.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Ron, that's what film aficionados do. Make comments about about film themes. Brokeback Mountain doesn't get a reprieve because it's a gay film. Sorry if I offended your politically correct mindset. Actually, no, I'm not.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Actually Bradley-E, the fact that I find a gay cowboy movie to be repugnant isn't rude or obnoxious at all. I reserve the right to be disgusted by the homosexual lifestyle and agenda, thank you very much. You don't have agree with me, but I resent the implication that it's rude for me not to like this film because of its gay theme. I'd say the same thing in person that I'd say on the 'net.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Bradley,

Hope I didn't offend you; Brokeback Mountain sits at #1 on my top 10 of 2005 (gasp, a straight man loves Brokback Mountain!) and it does indeed cheapen the film to call it a "gay cowboy movie". It's just, well, that they are gay, and they are referred to as cowboys. Ennis's wife even refers to his time up on Brokeback as "cowboying".

Yes, after they've seen the film and can speak validly about them, which judging by your attitude toward Brokeback Mountain, I'm guessing you haven't. Also, true film aficionados will see anything that's reputed to be worth their time, which BM most certainly is.

This DVD can't come soon enough :emoji_thumbsup:

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

I don't need to see the movie to know I don't like the theme, thanks. That doesn't make my opinion any less valid then yours, just different.

And what is a "true" film aficionado? We all have our likes and dislikes, I'm sure there are many movies you have no desire to see for one reason or another.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But most of us who don't care for a topic don't go into the topic thread and drop a thread fart in that topic's thread. If you don't care for a film's themes, why not just mosey on by to something else worthy of your time, and leave other threads be.

Typically, when someone starts a thread about the impending release of a film on DVD, they are interested in the film (and possible extras on the DVD, as well as the film itself), and are not all that interested in reading about someone proclaiming they not interested in the seeing a film being released on DVD. It's counter-productive to that particular thread.

Everyone else who is interested in the upcoming release of this film, please keep on discussing the topic at hand.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
"Homosexual lifestyle and agenda"? HA! I must not have received my "agenda" card in the mail. Jim why are you here? Why in the world would you waste your time going into a forum to comment on a film that you have no interest in seeing? And HTF rule number 14 states that this is not a democracy, but a PRIVATE forum. Please, please go away.
Oops...right after posting this I saw that Patrick stepped in. Thanks!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The thing about Brokeback is how much it really stays with you after you leave the theater and it's a movie, like CASABLANCA, that demands multiple viewings. It's actually better when you know what's going to happen.

Seeing it a second time brought out so many little moments that escaped me on the first go. It was far more devastating the second time around and I personally can't wait for the dvd.

March 7 doesn't make much sense though, even from a marketing standpoint. How would they know what Oscars (if any) to list on the packaging?

And just so we're clear, a dog doesn't live a dog's lifestyle, it lives a dog's life.

Bradley, if you send me your mailing address, I'll see if I can get an agenda card right out to you. :b

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Bradley: I have as much right as you to be here and to post until the owner of said forum tells me otherwise. He hasn't, and if/when he does, I'll respect his wishes. If my feelings anger you then you can always ignore them. Either way, I don't have to justify myself and my motives to you. Good day.

Patrick: Fair enough. So the next time someone makes a negative comment about the theme of a movie in another pending DVD release thread, I expect you to post the same exact response.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jim,
Don't go away (that's also rude, Bradley). But understand that popping into a thread to interject your opinion on a film you haven't seen is considered trolling. See the film if you want to complain about the theme. I'd be all ears then, because you would have made the investment. An opinion on a film you haven't seen *IS* less valid than that of an opinion from someone who has seen it.

Moving on, I'm another straight guy who'd put BBM near the top of my 2005 list. I doubt the DVD will hit that soon. It'll have a strong theatrical run. More like May or June is my guess.

And the film will do well across the board. As some wise poster said on another thread: There are a lot more people who are gay than who can name every character in the Fellowship or every alien in a Star Wars movie. It won't make that money...but it's going to make real money. The rollout was smart...let critics and people see it. WOM can overcome any minor concerns over content, and people WILL be interested in the film.

As I said, it's a great film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jim,

The reason why you were targeted more than
anyone else would have been for "trolling"
in a thread under normal circumstances is
simple....

Oh boy, a gay cowboy movie! Yeah, can
hardly wait for this one to come out on DVD.

That's rather insultive -- especially for the
fact it's towards a film you haven't even seen.

Besides that, there are many members of this
forum who are gay. Though I am not one of them,
I am very concerned that such a comment could
very well insult those members.

I understand that the theme of this film has
been a highly controversial one. Still, I think
many of us had hoped that this film could have
been discussed in a professional manner without
someone coming in and making the obvious negative
comment about the film's theme.

In other forums I would expect such remarks. In
this forum, I would prefer that more respect be
shown. I'm very saddened by some additional
comments that were made in this thread that I
had to go in and remove this morning. If such
comments are made again I'm going to just remove
the member making it.

Didn't necessarily mean to put the spotlight
on you, Jim. I hope you will stay a member here
and continue posting.

I do hope you understand my concern for the people
that frequent this forum -- and do so because we
try to be a little more professional here than
what you would expect from other forums.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, negative posts about a film's content in the Software section is considered "thread crapping" and looked down upon.

And another :emoji_thumbsup: to Ron.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In the interest of getting this thread back on track:

Those who want to discuss the film itself, please go to the thread in the Movies forum.

Those who want to talk about the upcoming DVD and its possible features, please post here.

Those who have no interest in the film -- for whatever reason -- should move on to another topic and stay out of both threads.

Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks