What's new

Bright scene & TV "distortion" (1 Viewer)

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, just a quick question. I recently got my 36" RCA and am loving it, however I find that in some rare instances, part of a scene is very, very bright (like a lens flare or explosion) and it seems to "warp" the geometery of the image near it.

I know that having the brightness turned too high can affect this. I did a rough calibration of my TV (using the free THX optimode and a cheaper HT setup disc...not Avia or VE). This helped the problem a bit, and as I said, I know only get it when one part of the screen is SUBSTANTIALLY brighter than another.

An example is on Episode 1 or 2 when the scene is in the round Jedi Council room. The bottom half the scene (chairs, floor, etc) is fine, but the area around the windows (much brighter area in some of the shots) has some vertical lines that aren't straight and similar distortions... Is this normal for a lower $$$ large screen tv? (

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Less expensive sets often have poor power supplies that will distort the image when there is a high power draw.

Solution ... turn the contrast down even further until it stops happening.

Regards

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
That happens with most brand name flat screen TVs. It most noticiable with video games. It happens on my toshiba flatscreens. I thought it was a fault, till I read on forums that it's normal with most mass market TVs. Some TV are more noticiable then others.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Doh, I knew it had to do with all those green bits of code that I see everywhere...;)

Anyways, thanks for the replies, glad to know its fairly "normal". I've got the contrast about as low as I want to go, at least its not too bad of a problem. I'll just learn to live with it. ..and yes, it is most noticeable in video games. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks