What's new

Breaking News! (1 Viewer)

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Why is everything on CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, etc always "Breaking News" ?

What ever happened to the lazy lay around news?

Is it really breaking news in the first place?

I'm getting sick of seeing "Breaking News" everywhere...

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
"Why is everything on CNN not news?" is what I am wondering :) "News" shown doesn't influence most, and most can't influence anything in the "news".
CNN is the best "reality TV" if you ask me :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I think their big red banner that they toss up there is cool...if only they could make it flash and scroll and spin and some kind of sound come out saying "WARNING WIL ROBINSON! WARNING! WARNING!"

yeah...yeah...that'd be cool.

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
I do like the "Danger Will Robinson" idea...
maybe if they just jazz it up every now and then.:D

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Along the lines of breaking news, its funny how the running ticker of news continues on many channels (i.e. Foxnews)...

I mean, is there that much going on that warrants a ticker.
I saw on there the other day, the current terrorist alert level was 3. hmmm...okay.

Anyone ever see the SNL where they spoofed the bloomberg channel with maps, tickers, breaking news, weather, picture in pictures, live feeds all on top of each other ?

classic

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I always liked the old Daily Show tag-line, "When news breaks, we fix it." :)
Actually, there is such a thing as "breaking news." It basically means undigested, unedited raw data that they receive and just dump on the air as it happens. Normal news, like a press conference, on-going story, or analysis of the previous day's events, actually goes through an editorial process where it is put in coherent form, fact-checked, and reviewed for libel before being presented to the public. Sadly most news now is of the "breaking" variety, where the viewer is, in effect, part of the editorial process, the story changes as corrected facts come in and the entire country goes off on a collective wild-goose chase with every unconfirmed "fact" that makes it on the air. (Seen in recent stories like the D.C. sniper, for instance.)
The thing I find funniest about today's 24 hour news cycle (and cheap satellite technology) is the constant flow of live reports from places where absolutely nothing is happening. I don't know why a meat-puppet reading AP-wire copy is more important if said meat-puppet is standing 300 yards from the spot where the airliner crashed three hours ago, or 50 yards from the White House. (And 5 yards from six other "reporters" reading identical copy just outside the range of this network's cameras.) He/she doesn't have anymore actual information than we'd be getting if he/she were sitting in a comfortable studio, but producers just love to have their people deliver this drivel standing outside in desert heat or a snowstorm in a place close to where the actual story took place.
Regards,
Joe

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Man, I remember when CNN Breaking News would stop us in our tracks...like the OJ Simpson car chase or the California earthquake in 1991.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
like the OJ Simpson car chase
I was in a horrible car accident and given major pain pills which really knocked me out. I remember waking up (sort of) and turning on the TV. Every channel had this white bronco on it .....I thought I was seeing things. Couldnt understand why every channel had a 1 car motor race on it.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Anyone ever see the SNL where they spoofed the bloomberg channel with maps, tickers, breaking news, weather, picture in pictures, live feeds all on top of each other ?
Yes, and it was hilarious. By the end, you couldn't even see Tim Meadows behind it...just a bunch of info balloons :laugh:
Bruce

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they screwed themselved, ala 'boy who cried wolf' style.

It used to actually mean something to me, but it started up after 9/11, and they not only all picked it up, but they won't let it down. I wonder what they are going to use next to get our attention.

Glenn

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just avoid the news all together, it's nothing but depressing anyway.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks