What's new

Boxes? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Do you keep the boxes for your Home Theater and Audio/Video equipment or not? i know it would be useful for when I move, but those boxes take up a lot of space, so i have recycled the most important one already. Well, the TV does have glass that can be busted, so I could have kept it. Anyways, what do you all do? Keep or recycle?
[Edited last by Chris PC on October 22, 2001 at 12:03 PM]

Danny Owens

Agent
I usually keep all of mine until the warranty expires. If you were to send something in for warranty repair and it isn't in it original packaging; then the company could use that as an excuse not to warranty it. It has happened to me personally. If the unit has a local drop off point for warranty service, then chuck the boxes after the store return policy runs out.
Danny
------------------
My HT
"In an insane world, the sane appear to be the insane"

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Keep. You never know.
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"
----Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
There's NO WAY I'm keeping the box for my Toshiba 50H81 past the 30 day store return period...Jeez, you'd have to have two houses to keep all those friggin' boxes...

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Keep. They're all stuffed in a crawlspace. If I did not have a good place to put them, out of sight, I'd chuck them.
For the 710HD I only kept the box for the front screen, not sure why, but it seemed like a useful expance of cardboard to keep around for awhile. The main box for the 710, the kids used as a clubhouse in the front year for a week or so.
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I get rid of them. Everyone always says to keep them in case you move. Well, they must live a nomadic life. I don't see a point to keep them because the one time I might need them, I can just as easily rent shipping cartons.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see a point to keep them because the one time I might need them
Exactly, I have enough stuff just taking up space around here. Years ago I gave up the anal tendency to keep every box for EVERY piece of electronics.
Sam

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I keep the boxes for all my speakers so when you trade up later on, they will have a higher trade-in value if the box is in good condition. I chuck the boxes for the electronic stuff after the warranty goes.
------------------
Link Removed

Jim_F

Screenwriter
If it's something worth selling someday, OBM is a plus, as long as they are not TOO huge. No way would I keep a RPTV bow long-term.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Keep 'em within reason. For speaker boxes, depends upon how old they are and what sort of condition they are in. You never know when you may want to sell a pair and need the original boxes and packaging. Also keep them if you will be moving within a year or so. If it can survive UPS, then it should survive your move. Christmas gifts ring another bell? They are there, so you might as well use them. But the priority is due to warranty. Once the warranty goes the choice is up to you.

J

John Morris

I keep every box from every component that I buy. Some of my components come double boxed and I keep them both. I buy, sell, and upgrade so often anymore that I find keeping the boxes saves me money. Also, folks are inclined to buy and pay more for a used component that will include and be shipped in the original packaging. I plan on keeping the box from my new 64" RPTV when it arrives later this week. I usually can save some space by stacking boxes in side other boxes and then listing which boxes are inside by taping a piece of notebook paper to the side of the outside box. Still, about a 1/2 car garage space is used for my boxes. My oldes boxes are Mirage speaker boxes from about 7 years ago.... :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Keep. I have a whole corner of my garage set aside for my HT boxes. Two stacks now reach the ceiling! Yikes!!

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I keep all my boxes, even from years and years ago.
When I bought my Denon 4800 it was the floor model and didn't include a box. So now I am looking to get ahold of a box for it.
IF ANYONE HAS A DENON AVR-4800 BOX THAT THEY DON'T WANT, EMAIL ME AND I'LL PAY FOR SHIPPING TO GET IT HERE.
Thanks.
------------------
Home Theater Page

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I kept all my boxes except the TV's, just too big.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks