What's new

Bourne Identity regular theatrical vs explosive extended? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My mom and sister rented The Bourne Identity yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn't pick up the original DTS version. My sister hands me the video and I say, "So you want to watch it on my projector?" and she's like "Yeah. Why?"..heheh...I was planning to watch a Pink Panther DVD with my dad, but anyways, my mom and sister have been wanting to see the Bourne Identity for while, ever since I said I saw the Bourne Supremacy and said it was good and they should see it. I actually saw them in reverse, having seen Supremacy first and now Identity. Doesn't matter, and actually, I think its fun in reverse. Bummer about the DVD not having the DTS version, but the sound was ok I guess. I must admit that I prefer DTS over DD now quite readily. Its not a small difference. I haven't done extensive comparing, but DTS usually seems to have more dynamic range and cleaner mid and high frequencies. Anyways....so the Bourne Identity DVD...

I selected the "Theatrical Version".

Without giving me spoilers, what is in the explosive extended edition? Is there simply more action, more scenes? More back story? More story? Longer with a somewhat different ending? I don't want to know the exact difference, just the basic idea.

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
It's a cheap marketing ploy by Universal to cash in on the Bourne Supremacy. The "explosive edition" has a couple little new extras, but loses the DTS track. The first edition is superior.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Right. Cool. Well I liked these movies enough that I may search for the original DTS release. Still, I am curious what the difference is. Perhaps I'll watch the explosive edition, but I'd rather get an idea first. If its not worth watching or worrying about, then I guess I'll forget about it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha. Thanx. I could have sworn I searched for that but could not find it.

So was there only one original CE version of this movie? If so, I'll look for that. Love the car chase scene. Its very realistic looking, and I like how they don't make all the drivers incompetant idiots smashing into everything, there's even a few close calls.

:)

Greg Black

Second Unit
Damn. I just wanted to know, does this happen to anyone else?

I was reading about the differences between the CE and the new EE of The Bourne Identity. I decided I needed to hunt down the old version. This quickly turned into veritable frenzy because I couldn't find any online retailer to stock the older edition. I turned to eBay and bought a copy, fearing that the CE may start going up in price, due to it being out of print.

Okay, now the point of all this is, I saw The Bourne Identity in the theater on the day it came out. I thought it wasn't that great (or am I blocking out the whole experience because I saw it with a girl I'm trying to completely forget?). Anyway, for some reason, just the notion that the disc was OOP, had a DTS track, etc., made me think "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!" Why does this happen? Is this just part of the DVD sickness?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks