What's new

Bought a Velodyne CHT-12 for $319 to hold me over for now. Very surprised! (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Allen.. You get 6 of those running, and properly eq'd, placed, and calibrated and I have serious concerns about your foundation and structure. lol

Best of luck mate....

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Humm...

29-30Hz and above the 6-Velo's 12's win buy a decent clean db margin. Assuming all 6 are corner loaded/stacked and both the Velo's and SVS-PB2+ calied properly & placed for max room gain.

BUT, at 25Hz the Velos are rolling off big time & especialy below that. So things would most likely be a different story in this lower Hz area.

Without a (direct same system/room comparision/measuments), this is just a best guess senerio...

Steve nn, SVS-test head ED, or the many others that want mght care to do the math with TN's Velo-12 data along with Ed's SVS data,,,,, could come much closer ~{in the possible real world numbers/performace of Allen's question}~.

For sure tho:
6-Velo/CHT-12's corner loaded/stacked would defnitely pump out some nice,/well very impressive spl in the area around 29HZ-30Hz and above...
As freq drops from the 29-30Hz area, the clean spl, drops like a rock due to the Velo-12's design/tuning.

I'd also agree easily:
The Sony-40 compared to the Velo-12, no contest one on one. And at around the 200.00-275.00 price being thrown around for the Velo-12, it's a no brainer steal for those looking into a sub at that price point.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
So what's the bottome line on the price of the Velodyne? (and from where?)

How would it compare to the Dayton 10"? Worth the extra money?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Compared to a Dayton 10", I'd have to give a big yes, on that one myself. Velodynes are truly solid in build quality and can be driven very brutally. All low end roll off aside. They are still my favorites in the under $500 range.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Score * to ***** low to high

For fun only but tried to be serious.

All based at the 150 to 270.00 price point dealing with these 2 subs only (in regards to this thread)... We can agree to disagree if someone sees things differently.
And that definitely will be the case I'm sure...;)

~{===========================}~
///// CHT-12 //|\ Dayton/TMII \\

Looks}-->****------->**
Is a personal-preferance and is really up to the person looking at it.

Output}->****------->**¾
Clean
Spl

Hz-Ext}->***½------>***½
Capability

Amp}----->***½------->**½
Power

SQ}------>****------>***

Build}--->****------->***¼

Sub/Amp}->*****------>**½
Driver/Self
Protection

Controls}>***½------->***
& Hookups

Warr-}--->*****------>*****
anty

Note:
At the Velos "sale price" being mentioned here in this thread, the Velo is the clear winner.
But, if the Velo was purchased at it's MSRP the star rating still holds, but the deal is no where near as sweet. In such a case (Velo bought/no sale price), someone on a budget would be hard pressed to beat the TM-II for a nice budget sub.

The CHT-12 Velo is a step up from the budget catagory, but considered budget priced/catagory here in this thread (only due to mentioned kill pricing)...!

TMII
It's well built, good warranty, and for a 10 has very good spl, extension, and is relativly small. It will certainy shock most who have never heard it. Still is probably the budget king of subs even when not on sale. It will kick the crap out of many budget 12's out their, and sound much better doing it...

Retainer:
Not responceable for my heavily medicated typing and quickly thought out star rating data above. :b

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with you on all *****points Geoff except I might drop the 1/4 off the build on the TMII side.:) The amp on the Velo has a much better feel to it also. Do you remember that 12-13 page Thread we had going on the first generation TM? After all the hoopla the TM develops a amp issue and subsequently the TMII....

If a guy is going to run dual colocated subs and his motivation is to gain spl in the lower freqs. It is not going to happen with differently tuned subs. You would be better off to run the single lower tuned sub by itself as long as it was a decent sub. After trying out mixing a SVS with the Velo's I had. I came to the conclusion that this was not a optimal direction to pursue. Actually to be brutally honest it sounded like crap at no fault to either sub.

If I run my 20hz tuned PC-Ultra with one of my 25hz tuned 25-31CS+'s colocated. I realize cancellations in the lower freq and no gain in the higher after calibration. The bones never lye.

If it were my decision to make I would rather have one CHT-12 over dual TMII. After looking back, It would have been much wiser of me to have went the SVS rout to begin with. It's the low freq bass that is missed by so many. It's kind of akin to having a whole other channel and why not with the authority and sound it deserves? Admittedly one mans opinion.

Josh Meier

Agent
I just picked one of these up at Circuit City for 350 and I do not regret the purchase at all... even with the lower prices available. The sub fills the giant room (about 40'x40') quite nicely and adds just the right amount of bass. My only complaint is that there isn't a variable phase adjustment, either 0 or 120... but other then that, it's a great buy for it's price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks