What's new

Bought a Velodyne CHT-12 for $319 to hold me over for now. Very surprised! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
My subwoofer of seven years finally quit on me. So I am in the market for a new sub. I have demo'd quite a few different ones. I have been talking to SVS Ron about the PB2-PLUS and am sold on it, however I need to save a little $$$ for that one so in the meantime I picked up the Velodyne CHT-12 a couple of days ago and really,really like the way it sounds. I was surprised to see a $319 sub provide this type of bass. It goes pretty low and compliments my AAD C-10 sub that I already have. I am pretty impressed. I threw in my typical dvd's to test it out,Saving Private Ryan,The Matrix Reloaded,Heat,We Were Soldiers and Master & Commander. It didn't have a problem with any of those demanding tracks. I am still going to buy the PB2-PLUS but man this Velodyne is nice and for the money, you really can't go wrong. If you are on a limited budget and limited space, definitely look at this sub. It is pretty sweet.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Good for you, Jeff. At that price point, it's a great buy. I started with a Velo CT120(earlier version of your current sub) and upgraded to an Ultra. I was happy with the Velo, just wanted more output. I just added my second Ultra as these things are addictive. Your sub should tide you over until you can afford the SVS.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I used to run a couple of ct-150 Velo's and they held me over just fine until I finally decided on the SVS rout. Good for you Jeff. Sounds like there will be no pain until you gain;)

Eric was that the PC-Ultra you picked up?

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,

No, I grabbed up a CS Ultra B-stock. What a deal on a truly outstanding subwoofer. I for one believe the TV-12 to be worth the additional expense. ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Have to agree with you Eric. The dB driver/s have definitely been a nice experience and will continue to be. But the TV-12 is something els.:eek:

Sorry for the deviation Jeff. Back to the original CHT-12 programing.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Sam,

You beat me to the call. JandR just had it for $200.

Jeff, you may want to check out prices online and take it back to save yourself $100.

Bill*L

Grip
I have the Velodyne CT-150 currently and I too am saving for the PB2+. Is there really that much difference between the two when it comes to overall quality? I know what everyone says on these forums but can it really be that big of an improvement? I am hoping so but hard to believe since I am pretty impressed with the Velodyne.

Thanks

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Yes on both counts.

The Velo CT/CHT 15" starts to roll-off around 30 Hz. It retains adequate (but not outstanding) clean output at 25 Hz, but the sub is clearly most comfortable pounding away in the 30 Hz region or higher.

Frequency response 30 to 101 Hz +/- 2.3 dB
92 dB @ 25 Hz @ 10% THD @ 2M (7500 ft3 room)
108.4 dB @ 32 Hz @ 10% THD @ 2M (7500 ft3 room)

Note the 16 dB (just huge in log10 terms) drop in clean output between 32 Hz and 25 Hz.

Referenced from none other than the "Ace Of Bass" himself, Tom Nousaine:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=5

John S

Senior HTF Member
The CHT-15 is my favorite sub under $500 period.

I'm sure the CHT-12 is no slouch by any means. Enjoy it, and you can run those real hot, they have an auto sense that keeps them from being damaged when / if things get a little to hot for them, so go for it. Let your neaighbors know and feel the explosions.. lol

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
'...and compliments my AAD C-10 sub that I already have.'

you mean you have 2 different subs going at once? will you do the same injustice with the SVS :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Note the 16 dB (just huge in log10 terms) drop in clean output between 32 Hz and 25 Hz.
__________________________________________________ _____

Just as Ed states. (Hi Ed)

The first thing you would notice is the authority the SVS unit will have over the CHT in the lower freq material. It will be very noticeable. It would take a good number (not a few) of the CHT-15s to mimic the performance of the 2+ in spl in the lower freqs. This is with the 2+ in it's 25hz stock tune. The SVS will deliver much faster and in a more detailed manner also.

It can be a little hard to comprehend. When it seems like you have real good bass it's hard to fathom it being a little better that alone a whole lot better respectfully.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yeah, it has worked fine.

And when I do get the SVS, I am pretty sure that it can handle my low frequency needs all by itself.:)

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
have you tried the velo by itself? I would almost bet that having 2 subs, completely diffferent from each other would cause serious phasing issues that could be fixed by leaving out the aad-c10. have you tried this?
or do you just want louder bass?

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
How does the Velodyne CHT-12 compare to the Sony SA-WM40? Are they in the same league or is the Velo much better?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The Velo is far superior at this discounted price point.
__________________________________________________ ____

Ditto. Most definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks