What's new

Boston VR-M60s? (1 Viewer)

fabrizio

Agent
Hi There,

I currently own a pair of Boston CR85's...I'm having an entertainment unit built to house everything, including the speakers.

I thought that now would be a good time to upgrade my speakers so that I won't be stuck for space later.

I can trade in my CR85s at my audio place. I went in and listened to the VR-M60s and loved the sound. I'd have to pay another $800 Canadian to get them.

Is it worth it? Or can I find something better for less? Of course it has to be something that this place sells.

I like the look of the VR-M60s...but, am I better off staying with the CR85s?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Fabrizio,

I don't own the Boston's, but I think that they are one HELL of a speaker. You could do far worse than those and I think they are far superior to anything else in the Boston line. However, they are slightly expensive and you probably can get similar performance for about 20% less price, but you would have to do the research required and listening to make up your mind. All that takes time, and time is money as we all know.

I would get the VRM-60's with great confidence. It is a tremendously smooth speaker. I actually preferred it to the Paradigm Ref 40's I purchased, but got the Paradigm's at a deal that I couldn't refuse.

I also think it is a beautiful looking speaker as well and looks are really important for WAF.

fabrizio

Agent
HI,

If I am thinking of getting into HT...should I bother upgrading the mains if I'll be buying a centre, rears, and a sub?

I assume that if I don't and stick with my 2-channel Marantz SR63, then, I'd get more value out of the upgrade?

Michael Vasquez

Auditioning
I have a set of CR8's as my mains, which are great, so I assume your CR85's are also great. The VM's look great, but I wouldn't worry about upgrading until you really feel the need.

If you want to set up a home theater quickly, I would put the money into a boston center channel to match the CR85's and put the rest to either a 5.1 receiver or the subwoofer. You could even buy a non-powered sub and use the marantz to drive it. It won't pass with the "audiophile" purists, but it works great if the budget is tight.

The good thing about setting up the "cheaper" option is that when or if you decide to go to the VM series, you can sell your full 5.1 set up to someone else who is starting to build a system and finance your upgrade in mains and center.

fabrizio

Agent
HI,

Since I am still a newbie to all of this....You mentioned buying a non-powered sub and letting my 2-channel Marantz power it....how?

Is that worthwhile...budget isn't as big as most on here...

Michael Vasquez

Auditioning
Being just recently out of college, I am still making do with my college system (although I have upgraded the television).

I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver powering my Boston system. The Yamaha (and any other 5.1 receiver) has a low frequency RCA plug output (the ".1" as I understand it) to allow you to send just the low frequencies to a powered sub.

However, if you plug this low frequency output into your Marantz receiver as an input (like you would a cd-player), you can then use the Marantz to amplify the signal for the non-powered sub, which is hooked up to the receiver using speaker wire.

Its not perfect and you will have to play with the adjustments to get it sounding good, but...1)you get to re-use an existing "amp" and 2)non-powered speakers are much, much cheaper.

If you are on a budget, it can make a lot of difference. I have a $99 Radio shack non-powered sub with a sock stuffed in the port (to reduce any boominess). I will probably move to a powered sub in the future, but for a minimal investment you can't beat it.

Good luck with building your HT.

With regards to adding a Boston center to match the CR85s:

As far as I know, the only center that Boston has that matches the soft dome compact speaker line (ie, the CRs) is the CRC. Unfortunately, I noticed that this speaker sounds a little tinny compared to their 910 (don't even get me started on their 920 center channel monster). Are you considering going with a rigid dome 910 or sacrifice quality and stick with the CRC to maintain a timbre match?

I ask, because I have the same problem.

cheers,

Steve

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
fabrizio,

I have have no problems reccomending the VR-M60's. They are great speakers. I have them as my mains, along with the VR-MC center and VR-MX surrounds. The "sing" beautifully and are also great to look at (main reason my wife liked them). But they are a bit pricey.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
The VR-M60's are great. I have had a pair for a little over a year and added the VR-MC center and VR-MX surrounds in January. They are not cheap and there may be better values for the money out there but I couldn't find them :), and I looked long and hard before making my purchase. I have had no desire to upgrade speakers since getting these or even to audition other speakers. They are not as popular as other brands for some reason but don't let that keep you from considering them.

fabrizio

Agent
I do agree...the M60s do sound great..but, are a little pricey...

You all keep saying they are great, but, that I could find a better value...

It seems like you are all saying that they are not worth the extra price?

What do you consider a better value?

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I think they are worth the money. I was able to get 20% off list so that made them even more appealing. When I said there may be better values for the money I was leaving that up to you to decide- for me I have no regrets- but you may prefer something else. I compared them to every major speaker I could find up to about $2000 a pair and decided they were right for me. I don't upgrade as often as most people seem to do so I try to get what I want even if it cost more upfront because I have learned over the years that if I am not completely happy with my choice I will end up selling it and buying something else and actually end up spending more in the long run. YMMV.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
fabrizio,
Yes the Bostons are expensive. But a portion of that cost is due to the finish. They not only sound wonderful, but look wonderful as well. For that combination .... in my opinion, they are more than worth the premium. :)

fabrizio

Agent
I currently don't have a surround receiver, I will in the future.

Is is worth going to the M60s over the M50s?

If I'm sticking to my 2-channel Marantz, the M60s are it...if I am planning to upgrade to surround...should I go for the M50s?

Is there that much difference?

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
The M50's have just a little less bass than then M60's. But they are physically smaller. That may make a difference in your room. Two M60's will be cheaper than four M50's, so if you're pretty confident that you're going to stick with 2-channel one this system ... I'd probably go with the M60's myself.
But it's really a personal opinion kind of thing you know. :)

fabrizio

Agent
The money she be tight now...if I go for the M50s over the M60s...am I going to regret it?

I may not be able to get the whole HT thing going for a while...

fabrizio

Agent
I'm in Canada..so prices a little different....my local audio place is selling the M60s for $1200-1400...with my trade in of my CR85s, I could get them for about $800...

still seems a little pricey....but, they do look and sound good

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks