I now understand the importance of a good subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PaulDA, Apr 17, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Feb 9, 2004
    Last night I gave my new PV900 (Boston Acoustics) a thorough workout for the first time. I know, not an SVS, yada, yada, yada. However, considering its predecessor (a Harman Kardon HKTS6 sub), I believe I've made a significant step up. I don't want to get into a pissing contest or start bragging. I just want to say that I now know the difference a quality subwoofer can make to a system. My Boston speakers are back in their boxes as we're moving soon, so the PV900 has been supporting the HKTS6 sats, and though I realize this is purely subjective--I have no measurements to back me up--I swear the new sub makes even my tiny sats sound better (or at least the better bass response makes the ensemble sound better). It will be a few months before I can set up my whole Boston kit (VR-M60s front, VRC centre, VR-M50s rear), properly calibrated, but having heard each component separately, I can definitely say it will be the best listening experience I've had in my home, ever.

I know someone will tell me that now I've had a taste, it's time to step up to the big leagues. I may just do that sometime down the road, but for now, I find the PV900 quite satisfying.

For those who might want to know, as I've seen little discussion of the PV900 anywhere on the forums (it is a new model, to be fair) the important specs are (and I know specs alone are not the whole story) 300w BASH amp, 12" downfiring woofer, F3 to 26hz, rear ported. At its retail price (700$US), it is not a value purchase, but I paid considerably less than retail, so I think it becomes competitive at that point.

Anyway, I've been a longtime sceptic of the importance of a sub, outside of movie soundtracks, but on that front, I've become a convert. I ran through hours of bass heavy music in my collection last night, and heard notes I didn't know were there, even through many playbacks with my previous sub. And this morning, I made the house shake with the hot landing zone scene in We Were Soldiers and the Balrog scene in LOTR. My previous sub made lots of noise with those scenes but it was always a bit muddy and distorted. Not anymore[​IMG] .

Off to enjoy some more bass.
  2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Jan 6, 2002
    That's what it is all about. ENJOY!
  3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Jul 11, 2003
    After I got my SVS 20-39PC+ I totally agree. It makes a huge difference.

Have Fun!