What's new

Boston Acoustic + NAD or Marantz? (1 Viewer)

Pavlov

Auditioning
I'm looking for a receiver to drive a 5.1 HT setup with Boston Acoustic CR series speakers. I've narrowed my search down to the Marantz SR-5500 & NAD T7XX. While the more expensive NADs get excellent reviews as far as sound quality goes the Marantz appears to be one of the better choices in the ''upper entry level'' price range. I would be willing to pay the difference for the NAD if someone can convince me that it is a significantly better receiver and that the quality issues that plagued earlier models are a thing of the past and NAD is now as reliable as Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, etc.
Can anyone with first hand experience please comment on this?
Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a pretty huge discrepancy between the two, and the NAD will easily be better, IMO. If you'd be willing to pay the difference, then why not compare something that is more along the same lines from Marantz like the 8500? The 773 is currently MSRP $1800, the 8500 is $1600 and will offer similar if not more features.

IIRC, Marantz goes for a bit more in Canada though, so is that the reason for the discrepancy between the two you are comparing?

There's also a guy in Toronto selling a bascially brand new 7400 for a pretty good price:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=234846

Pavlov

Auditioning
I think the T773/8500 are probably overkill for 12'x 20' room - they definitely are for my budget. As sound quality is more important to me than raw power I was hoping that the 6 x 70W of the T753 would be sufficient. My main concern with NAD is reliability and other annoyances such as fan noise and hissing that I've read about. What good is sound quality if you're always hauling the unit back and forth to the shop for repairs. I would like to be reassured that these are isolated incidents and not the norm before I spend my hard-earned bucks. I'm looking for listening pleasure - not grief and anxiety.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I thought you meant one of the higher NAD models. The noise problem was solved, at least for one person on here. Take a look at the NAD 773 thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=234982

Neither of those would be overkill for a room that size, but budget is a different story that only you can tell.

In terms of sound quality, I'd have to say the 753 will sound better than the 5500, but that would not mean the 5500 would be a bad choice either. You will also probably give up a few features with the 753 vs the 5500, at least one I know for sure would be MRAC (auto calibration). I recently installed a 5400 for a customer and it sounded great, and his room is the same width, and just a bit longer than your room.

Pavlov

Auditioning
My ears were spoiled having owned some high-end audio equipment(Threshold, Audio Research to name a few) when I was younger(wealthier).

Now I find myself having to compromise between reliable, affordable, acceptable sound(Denon, Marantz, etc); above average, almost affordable sound but with the impending risk of hiss, clicks, shutdowns, etc(NAD, Cambridge); or exceptional, reliable but unafordable sound(Arcam, Rotel, etc)

I wish somebody could do some benchmarking and fill that gap.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All manufacturers have quality issues at one point or another, and Outlaw is certainly not immune. Quite often, the issues are resolved in a short period of time. More significant issues, can be left to be designed out in the next model year. I have thankfully had very good luck with Marantz receivers, having owned 4 receivers and two amps, and two receivers with relatives. I know it can be a hassle, but that's what warranties are for.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Pavlov, if sound is important to you and you don't need the latest processing, a used Arcam AVR200 should hold you until you can afford the AVR300.

As a music lover, I've found the the Arcam AVR300 to outperform other receivers. I ditched my Denons.

My ears are spoiled too.

YMMV.

(2 channel = Alon V MkIIs, Herron preamp and mono amps, Cary 303 CD player, TG Audio cabling...HT = Nola Minis, Alon Thunderbolt Sub, AVR300, Philips 9818 HDTV, Panny RP91, Nordost and Blue Jeans cabling)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks