What's new

Boston/Paradigm comparison (1 Viewer)

Pavlov

Auditioning
Hi,
I'm looking to replace a pair of 12 year old Paradigm 3SE-Mini's. The new speakers will be the first step of a 5.1 HT setup which will most likely be driven by a Marantz SR-5500 or a NAD 7XX receiver(Yamaha and Denon are also contenders). I've narrowed it down to either the Boston Acoustics CR-77 or similar priced Paradigm models (Atom, Titan or Mini Monitors) Unfortunalely a side by side comparison is impossible as I don't know of any dealers that sell both brands. I would, therefore, greatly appreciate any experiences/feedback that might help simplify my decision.
Thanks

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
I can't really help you with your comparison because I have never heard the Paradigms. However, I do own a pair of the Boston CR-75 and also a pair of CR-7 and really like the smooth sound, great imaging and the lack of harshness in the highs. FYI, you can still get the CR-75 at great prices:
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_27732.htm

There is a difference in the woofers between the CR-75 and the CR-77, but I couldn't hear the difference, and at 50% of the price you can get 2 pairs of the CR-75!

If you want to step-up both visually and sonically from the CR-series, try the Boston VR-B or VR-1 in cherry. Pretty much more of everything I liked about the CR - even smoother highs, a bit better bass, and a beautiful finish. That's what I *really* wanted - but they were out of my budget.

I would also look at the Ascend CBM-170 in the same price range as the CR-77.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Happy Boston owner here. I have the older CR8's up front and CR65's in the rear. Driven by a Yamaha RX V1000. Smooth and slightly bright, but not harsh highs and good low end. I do use an SVS 25-31 PCI to handle the bass.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Pavlov,

I have six of the Boston CR-75's and one VR-C, all driven by my Denon AVR-3805. I love the sound.

Good Luck, Ala. Wise

Pavlov

Auditioning
Picked up the CR-77s. A bit harsher in the upper-mids but with better detail than the Paradigms. Now I need to find the receiver that will minimize that harshness without killing the detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks