1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Boston/Paradigm comparison

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pavlov, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Pavlov

Pavlov Auditioning

Hi,
    I'm looking to replace a pair of 12 year old Paradigm 3SE-Mini's. The new speakers will be the first step of a 5.1 HT setup which will most likely be driven by a Marantz SR-5500 or a NAD 7XX receiver(Yamaha and Denon are also contenders). I've narrowed it down to either the Boston Acoustics CR-77 or similar priced Paradigm models (Atom, Titan or Mini Monitors) Unfortunalely a side by side comparison is impossible as I don't know of any dealers that sell both brands. I would, therefore, greatly appreciate any experiences/feedback that might help simplify my decision.
    Thanks

2. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

I can't really help you with your comparison because I have never heard the Paradigms. However, I do own a pair of the Boston CR-75 and also a pair of CR-7 and really like the smooth sound, great imaging and the lack of harshness in the highs. FYI, you can still get the CR-75 at great prices:
    http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_27732.htm

There is a difference in the woofers between the CR-75 and the CR-77, but I couldn't hear the difference, and at 50% of the price you can get 2 pairs of the CR-75!

If you want to step-up both visually and sonically from the CR-series, try the Boston VR-B or VR-1 in cherry. Pretty much more of everything I liked about the CR - even smoother highs, a bit better bass, and a beautiful finish. That's what I *really* wanted - but they were out of my budget.

I would also look at the Ascend CBM-170 in the same price range as the CR-77.

3. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

Happy Boston owner here. I have the older CR8's up front and CR65's in the rear. Driven by a Yamaha RX V1000. Smooth and slightly bright, but not harsh highs and good low end. I do use an SVS 25-31 PCI to handle the bass.

4. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Pavlov,

I have six of the Boston CR-75's and one VR-C, all driven by my Denon AVR-3805. I love the sound.

Good Luck, Ala. Wise

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I compared the Paradigm and Bostons (Studio 20s and VR-M60s in my case) and while they were both very good, I preferred and bought the Bostons.

6. Pavlov

Pavlov Auditioning

Picked up the CR-77s. A bit harsher in the upper-mids but with better detail than the Paradigms. Now I need to find the receiver that will minimize that harshness without killing the detail.