Good deal on Boston Acoustic VR-M90's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by NateRG, Jan 10, 2005.

1. NateRG

NateRG Auditioning

A local store has some VR-M90s on sale for $800 a pair. From what I can tell this is an outstanding buy. I have auditioned them, some B&W 602 S3's, Paradigm Monitor 7's, Klipsch, and a few others, but I liked the B&Ws and BA's the best. Since they aren't at the same store, it is tough to do a direct comparison, but it sounds like the BA's were more detailed and spacious, but didn't have a whole lot of bottom end (not a huge bass fan though so that is ok. Will eventually get a sub when I round out the home theater).

Anyway question is this. The rest of the VR-M speakers are beyond my budget for a 5.1 setup, so will the VRX surrounds and VRC center blend well enough? Or should I skip the BA's and get a complete B&W 600 series system, that I know use the same drivers?

Plan on getting a Denon 2105 reciever. Compared it to the Yamaha RXV750 and I liked its detail and sound stage a hair better. Any thoughts?

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I use the VRC centre with VR-M60s up front and VR-M50s in back. The VR and VRM series mate pretty well, especially for HT.

As for the price, that is a steal. [​IMG] They retail for 2700$/pair. My VR-M60s retail at 1000$. If that deal is legit, jump on it. You could easily turn around and sell them for a profit and spend it on the B&Ws, if you prefer them.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

$800 for the pair!
    Make sure these are really Boston Acoustics! Is this guy an authorized dealer? That's a great price! I still have my old Boston bookshelf speakers from many many years ago and they are iincrediblespeakers. I auditioned the VR-M80's and also fealt that they needed the sub to give it that extra kick for full HT. In my opinion, BA's tend to do both music and HT well. But it all comes down to how it sounds wjen you get them home. I would buy them, take them home, test them out, then decide. I agree with Paul, the price is so good that you might buy them just to sell them.
    José

4. NateRG

NateRG Auditioning

Yeah, it is an authorized dealer. I saw them the first day I went out shopping about 2 weeks ago. Didn't know squat about them then, only that I loved the sound when compared to their other stuff in my price range (Kilpsch, Canton, Definitive Tech). Anyway, I started doing research and kept seeing like 1300 - 2000 online for them, so I just wanted confirmation that build quality or something was horrible on them.

I am taking the wife to see them tonight so if she likes em, I will snatch em up.

The sales guy said they just had a great buy on them and they have a stack of them sitting in the listening room so they are trying to get rid of them.

5. MikeWHA

MikeWHA Extra

Would love to take advantage of a deal like that - what retailer/city?

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

800$ for the pair?!?!?!?!?!?!? I honestly think he is giving you a line and that they are used....or stolen LOL...or something. Also, if you are seeing prices of 1300 to 2000$ on-line for them then those places are certainly not authorized dealers. Boston is VERY strict with their products when it comes to on-line sales. 99.9% of the places with them on-line I bet is not authorized. I would call boston and make sure the place is an authorized dealer. If they indeed are and they are brand new in the box then buy 12 pairs and sell them on E-bay for 1,800$......you think I'm joking but I would think about it LOL[​IMG]
    To even mention Paradigm monitor 7's and B&w 602's in the same sentence is an insult LOL.....I may be exaggerating with the 602's (not much)....but not with the Digms'. If they are authorized please give us the name and location of the place.....I would drive quite a ways for them at that price!!!!!!!!!

7. Craig

Craig Second Unit

No useful info here!

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

"No useful info here! "

Did I miss something.....please explain.....

9. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

If you don't buy them, pm me with the details!

10. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Probably referring to the fact that there's not much anyone can do with this info except for NateRG who is supposedly getting a deal that no-one has seen before. Not sure what others contribute other than "Hey, did you buy them already"?

11. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

"Probably referring to the fact that there's not much anyone can do with this info except for NateRG who is supposedly getting a deal that no-one has seen before. Not sure what others contribute other than "Hey, did you buy them already"?"

Yeah...I guess understand that.......Still seems like an odd thing to post though. If I had a nickel for every post post that I thought did not have any "useful info" TO ME on this forum then I would be a millionaire [​IMG].