What's new

Bose Acoustimass 16 system - adding other type speakers (1 Viewer)

heiole

Auditioning
Real Name
Ole Heimdal
Hello all,

I have a Bose Acoustimass 16 speaker system and a Denon AVR-X4000 receiver. Since the receiver supports more than a 6.1 speaker system I would like to expand with more speakers. I would like to add new front and center speaker and use the Bose fronts as front high and the center as a 2nd. back speaker.

Reading various postings here at the forum I realize that hooking the BOSE satelittes directly to the receiver might not be a good idea. If this is the case I would have to leave the BOSE satellites hooked up to the SUB and hook the new speakers dirctly to the receiver. But, will this work? will the auto calibation work properly?

Anyone have some experience with a setup where a BOSE system is combined with other speakers?

Thanks for all qualified feedback
Best regards
Ole - from Norway:)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Ole :)You can do this but the cubes that go direct to the receiver will not receive any frequency additions from the bass module. Auto calibration will likely use a much higher crossover for those cubes that bypass the module because the cubes are so limited in frequency response without the module.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Let me process this a bit(been out in the cold scooping a driveway)...You want to use the 6 you have now as height and surround. That would work. Since the bass module doesn't do much below 50hz, set the crossovers there. The only question(don't know the x4000 that well) is if you can expand to 9.1 with an external amp.If yes, use all 6. If not, just use 4. It won't a difference with the bass module if you run it missing a couple connections.And no, auto room EQs and Bose do not mix. The proprietary EQ will reflatten any attempts at EQ.

heiole

Auditioning
Real Name
Ole Heimdal
Hello,
and thank you both for your advices.

I´m still not quite clear on this, mainly because I think my question was a bit unclear. Do you recommend me to keep the BOSE satellites hooked up through the SUB or connected directly to the receiver? The receiver supports 11.2 channels. I can set the crossover manually per channel in the range of 40hz to 250hz.

Thanks again for you input

Greeting from Norway

heiole

Auditioning
Real Name
Ole Heimdal
Hello
That was a clear statement:), much appreciated!

you where writing; "Since the bass module doesn't do much below 50hz, set the crossovers there." By this you mean the crossover for the SUB or the satellites? The SUB settings on the receiver (called LPF for LFE) can be set in the range 80hz to 250hz. Or are you referring to the crossover setting for the satellites? For these the crossover can be set between 40hz and 250hz.

​Ones again; thanks a lot

I hope you are surviving the extreme cold over there!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Consider the bass module/cubes as one speaker set.

Set it up, in the AVR, as 50hz. Then 50hz> goes to the Bose...and the bass module does 50hz-250hz and the cubes handle the rest.

That is the only way to incorporate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks