What's new

Adding upfiring Atmos speakers to an existing in-celling 5.1 system (1 Viewer)

ceriano

Auditioning
Real Name
Ceriano
I currently have a "builder grade" in ceiling 5.1 system. My receiver can support a 5.2.2. Is there ANY benefits in adding 2 up firing atmosphere speakers, something like klipsch R-41-SA? I'm not looking to install them on the wall just simply sitting them on the media console table. Please advise.

I don't have space to add speakers to the back of the room otherwise I'd turn the two rear speakers to hight and add bookshelf speakers to the back of the room. The other option would be turning the two front right and left speakers to height and add two floor standing speakers in the front. The center speaker will still be in the ceiling which is not ideal.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It’s $200 to try it out and you can return them easy enough if you don’t like it. It’s an easy install.

Will it be cinephile grade? No
Will it dramatically improve your system? No. Bounce is already compromised
Will it maybe add a little bit of oomph and fun? Possibly!

ceriano

Auditioning
Real Name
Ceriano
It’s $200 to try it out and you can return them easy enough if you don’t like it. It’s an easy install.

Will it be cinephile grade? No
Will it dramatically improve your system? No. Bounce is already compromised
Will it maybe add a little bit of oomph and fun? Possibly!
Thanks Sam! Agreed the upfiring klipsch is $250 shipped, easy to try and return. Bestbuy also has the 400 watt floor standing klipsch $250 each but I’ll have to drive an hour to pick them up, it’s final sale they don’t ship those!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I tried upfiring speakers when they first came out. I didn't notice any discernible difference with or without them, so I took them back. IMO, to do ATMOS right requires properly mounted and located ceiling speakers.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could try it and see for yourself, but just don't get your hopes up too high, especially since your entire current 5.1 system is already firing from the ceiling(!), if I understand correctly. Is your subwoofer actually also in the ceiling???

If you can add proper audience level speakers, especially for the front channels (and probably subwoofer), I'd strongly recommend doing that instead (and converting whichever ceiling speakers to the Atmos ceiling/height channels instead... as you mentioned).

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, I see no way adding reflecting speakers to in-ceiling ones will make any difference. All the sound is already coming from the ceiling.

Unless you can move all three front speakers to the front, I don’t see the point in spending the money.

ceriano

Auditioning
Real Name
Ceriano
You could try it and see for yourself, but just don't get your hopes up too high, especially since your entire current 5.1 system is already firing from the ceiling(!), if I understand correctly. Is your subwoofer actually also in the ceiling???

If you can add proper audience level speakers, especially for the front channels (and probably subwoofer), I'd strongly recommend doing that instead (and converting whichever ceiling speakers to the Atmos ceiling/height channels instead... as you mentioned).

_Man_
No only the speakers are in the ceiling. The builder hasn’t installed subs.
Will changing the 2 front right/left ceiling speakers to height and adding floor speakers make a big difference? The cost difference is only $250. The center channel still remain in ceiling which is not ideal.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No only the speakers are in the ceiling. The builder hasn’t installed subs.
Will changing the 2 front right/left ceiling speakers to height and adding floor speakers make a big difference? The cost difference is only $250. The center channel still remain in ceiling which is not ideal.
I would only do that if you also move the center channel to the front. Is there any reason you can't have the center in the front as well, as in under the TV? The center in-ceiling speaker would just be left unused.

FWIW, it drives me crazy that these installers do all in-ceiling setups. Absolutely the worst possible speaker placement.

ceriano

Auditioning
Real Name
Ceriano
I would only do that if you also move the center channel to the front. Is there any reason you can't have the center in the front as well, as in under the TV? The center in-ceiling speaker would just be left unused.

FWIW, it drives me crazy that these installers do all in-ceiling setups. Absolutely the worst possible speaker placement.
I can eventually move the center channel but it’ll be more expensive of course.
are these a bargain at $250 or they go on sale often?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, you could always try phantom center, ie. no actual center speaker (w/ the center channel remixed into the front L/R), if the front speakers are good enough and won't be set all that far apart (probably no farther apart than their distance to the main seating area) -- I assume your AVR has that very common capability... although I'm not sure that works in combo w/ Atmos channels/setup (as I've only ever tried that w/out Atmos).

You could probably try to see if your AVR will actually let you do that in its config/setup before actually spending $$$...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, you could always try phantom center, ie. no actual center speaker (w/ the center channel remixed into the front L/R), if the front speakers are good enough and won't be set all that far apart -- I assume your AVR has that very common capability... although I'm not sure that works in combo w/ Atmos channels/setup (as I've only ever tried that w/out Atmos).

You could probably try to see if your AVR will actually let you do that in its config/setup before actually spending $$$...

_Man_
That should be an option. It should be the only channels you can't turn on/off are the front L&R.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Waste of money trying. There's no benefits whatsoever.

It's not above you sound but called surround sound.

Bring 5.1 down to ear level asap with traditional speakers. Remove one ceiling speaker to have only 4 and relocate the others to proper placements for Dolby atmos which is around 35 degrees horizontal and vertical axis front the main listening position.

You will notice a major major difference.

And enjoy Dolby atmos!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks