What's new

Bored at work on a Saturday!! HELP! (1 Viewer)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
I work for apple tech support and damn is it slow today! I've been here almost 2 hours and haven't takin a call yet. I need something to do and the usual boredom killer websites aren't working today.

i need some interesting "work-safe" sites to kill some time.
any ideas?

Johnny

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps you can help me. Why do my browser (IE) and earlier-generation iMac have so much trouble with MSNBC's Website? Also, I want a new, matching keyboard for my cherry-red iMac, but the Apple Store people in L.A.'s new shopping center, The Grove, tell me that I must instead buy a very expensive new keyboard/mouse combo to work with my iMac. Surely, Apple still has replacement keyboards for early-generation iMacs?

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Pull up this site:
http://www.drf.com/tc/preakness/2004/preakness.html

and a few related. Read the background on each of the 11 entrants. Their recent stats.

Draw you up a couple of paper bets. Win/place/show. Exacta etc. Figure our your payoff and what your buget would be, if you really had access to the track.

See how much sense you made out of trainers/owners/handicappers comments about 6:30 tonight.

(I may run out to our local track for the simalcast)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
Jack, Apple stopped producing the original style "flavored" keyboards a while back, for a while you could still order them but I beleive the stock is now depleted. If you call tech support with your serial number we can look it up for ya and see if they are available, but if I remember the price was higher than the new style, who knows why. What your looking for is called "strawberry mouse" and "strawberry keyboard". You might find them on some of the 3rd party sites if you look. Macmall, etc. I did a quick search on ebay and saw a couple used ones being sold cheap, if you don't need them "new".

As far as your web problem, have you tried another browser? Microsoft has no plans to ever update explorer for Mac again, so its going to be obsolete soon, if not already. I use Mozilla and Safari, if your running OS X.

Mary, boy I love gambling! I've never bet on horse races though, this looks like a good place to learn! If i get addicted, (i usually do) then i can thank ya later :)

Johnny

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Fark.com usually keeps me pretty busy and they'll indicate which links are not safe for work.

Oh, and there's a great story on there today about an ebay scam and a powerbook. . . the whole saga is documented in this giant 28 page PDF. Read the comments section of the story for a link to download it.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
leila, im only halfway through that powerbook artical but this is the funniest thing ive ever read. ill share it with some co-workers, they'll get a kick out of this!.

Johnny

Johnny_M

Second Unit
yah i finally finished it, then i was reading through some of hte original forum posts to see how it all evolved. got me thinkin, i get a ton of wierd junk mail where people are trying to scam me, would be fun to pick one apart some time and try to call them out like that.

i would LOVE to see a photo of the guys face when he opened the package and found a home-made computer built from a binder.. haha, thats just great! i dont know why, but the old mouse with the taped on peice of paper that said "laser" on the bottom really cracked me up.

Johnny

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
MSNBC was re-designed with the knowledge it would look like crap on Safari and other Mac browsers. They even banned all Mac browsers from the AV clips at the onset of the redesign.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks