What's new

Bookshelf Speakers - Stupid Question (1 Viewer)

I see lots of advice about mounting satellite surrounds on stands, on walls and on ceilings. Can you actually place a bookshelf style surround on a bookshelf?

I'm looking at purchasing the Athena Point 5 system and would like to place the surrounds on bookshelves on either side of the seating position. This will allow me to experiment with horizontal and vertical placements without drilling holes in the wall or trying to find a 6 foot high stand.

If they can be placed on a bookshelf, how much space do they need around them, especially behind them, to ensure decent sound quality?

Sorry for the stupid question. I mean, why else would they call them bookshelf speakers?

Thanks for any advice?

Jason GT

Second Unit
Hi Neil,

There's no law saying you can't put a bookshelf (speaker) on a bookshelf! Experiment and find out what sounds best to you.

It will probably help matters if the speakers aren't too near the sides of the furniture, and if it's rear ported, give the speaker more room.

Otherwise, experiment. If you don't like em in bookshelves, you can always take 'em out.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I think the term "bookshelf speaker" really has no real meaning today. I myself think it would look quite strange to see a $1000 "bookshelf speaker" actually in a bookshelf.

But anyway, they'd probably sound ok but I'd try plugging the ports if it is a rear ported speaker.

I got this reply from Athena about using bookshelves to achieve the 6' height for my rear surrounds:

The 6' off the ground does actually sound better, but you have to work with what you have, and many people do not want to attach the speakers to the wall, especially here in Toronto where there are many apt's and condos.
The S.5 is a direct radiating speaker, and works fine in a bookshelf. The only consideration is the rear vent. You need to ensure there's a few inches of space behind, and beside the speaker so the bass can escape. Other than that, just use your ears and try to locate the rears in the best position possible.

I hope you enjoy the system.
Best Regards
Joe Fraser
athena TECHNOLOGIES

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks