What's new

Speaker Stands....I guess this is where this question goes (1 Viewer)

Bryan_d

Grip
I am just wondering what keeps a bookshelf speaker on a stand. I see some with spikes on the top plate some without spkies and some with clamps on top what are the "best" type. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Those with spikes will keep the speaker stable, but will leave holes in the bottom finish of the speaker. Those with clamps are good, but more expensive. Most people will use those with a flat surface, and buy some sticky tack for a few bucks at most office supply stores. It is a material that sticks fairly strongly, but not permanently, and will not damage the finish of the speaker.

Troy_A

Auditioning
Most people will use those with a flat surface, and buy some sticky tack
Yep, that's what I did. It will stick good enough so the speaker won't fall off if you bump it or pick it up to move for some reason. And I have relatively heavy bookself speakers.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I am just wondering what keeps a bookshelf speaker on a stand.
gravity. ;)

i know i sound glib, but i'm being serious.

the idea behind spikes is to "couple" the two surfaces together. in this case, the speaker to the stand and/or the stand to the floor.

this allows for a more rigid frame...allowing the speaker drivers to move instead of the speaker itself. effectively trying to create a more "efficient" speaker.

this is...at best....questionable.

imo, the single best benefit of speaker stands is getting the tweeter up to ear level and getting the bass driver away from the floor...thereby reducing boominess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks