Dropped speaker, are they repairable?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by pearlyred, Aug 24, 2006.

1. pearlyred

pearlyred Extra

Argh, so today I stupidly managed to knock one of my rear bookshelf speakers of the cabinet it was on. It landed with a sickening *THUD* and I feel realy lousy now.

Not too much damage to the exterior, just a crack and a little bit of a scrape on the veneer, but after listening to it it now seems *quiet* and maybe a little *tinny* compared to the other rear channel. There's also the odd crackle coming through.

Speaker in question is an Infinity Primus 150.

DAMN!

Repairable you think? Took a quick look at the cone (just with naked eye) and cannot see anything visibly wrong, but im hardly an expert.

PR

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

If you shake the cabinet and hear rattling you likely sheared the magnet off the driver. I've had it happen thanks to UPS. The other thing to do is pull the driver(s) out and look for any loose wires that got dislodged.

3. pearlyred

pearlyred Extra

Just took another look and found the problem. Where as on the good speaker you can just gently press the main cone and it will move in and out silently, on the damaged one there is a kinda "scrunchy" sound and the movement in and out is very rough.

Now sure whats broken/moved inside or whether it can be fixed though. Am going to try and get hold of the shop I bought them from and see if they can do anything to help..

PR

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

The magnet structure was likely dislodged. This is not a very easy fix, the piston coil (voice coil is pinned around the magnet structure so the magnet has to be removed and re-fitted. Damage to the coil could also be a factor. If it needs replaced the entire driver should be replaced because it wouldn't be cost effective to replace it. Their site sells them for single drivers for your speaker for $29.99 U.S. They only ship in the U.S. so some type of reroute would be more expensive. How much does the repair cost?

5. pearlyred

pearlyred Extra

Hi Seth, I just dropped the speaker into the shop to get it looked at. He also said it wasn't really repairable and that the whole driver needed replaced (by this i assume it means the whole cone/magnet speaker assembly?).

The importers that supply them are closed saturdays so i will have to wait until monday for the repair quote. It's such a hassle getting things over here on the other side of the world.

I also asked about the price of a replacement speaker, but apparently they can only do them in pairs!! I'll also get the quote for that on monday.

Wonder how much shipping would be for a driver from US to NZ? May still be cheaper to do that than get it repaired. I really cant afford to just replace both speakers [​IMG]

PR

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Replacing the driver is fairly simple and you should be able to do it yourself. The driver itself shouldn't be that expensive.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

If you can, go to infinity's website and once into the home audio section go to the product support section. The page will have a place were you can select your model and a list of options after clicking search there will be a list of options one of them is replacement parts. Clicking on that will give you the prices of each individual part and availability. I don't know how much it will be to ship out of the U.S. but it won't be cheap. The site also says it doesn't ship out of the U.S. I am not sure how you will get it, but there has to be a way.