What's new

Blues Brothers Signature Series LD (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
It says here that the LD has 12 minutes of restored footage. I was wondering what the footage consists of and whether it's on the DVD release or not.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Cool. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Just wanted to know whether I should get the LD the DVD or (if I had the money and it was necessary) both.
Thanks Patrick

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The IMDB.com site lists all the differences between the CE DVD (which has about 18 additional minutes, BTW) and the theatrical version of the movie:
Link Removed
It's a great DVD! Unlike the recent 1997 "updates" of the Original Star Wars Trilogy, the additional scenes are simply restored from the original "Roadshow" theatrical release of the movie.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The DVD includes the extended (intended) cut
I don't know if I'd call this the "intended" cut of the movie. From what John Landis has said, I think he intended the film to be even longer than the DVD version, but the footage no longer exists to do it that way.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I just saw the price at DDD last week and it should should be arriving this week or next. The disc is still $37 at Best Buy. Thank God for DeepDiscountDVD!

Craig W

Second Unit
Although the soundtrack is fantastic, the movie has been heavily filtered (ie very soft looking) so that the 2.5-hour movie and an hour long documentary are on a single dual layer disc. Close to 3.5 hours on a single disc compromises the quality of the film presentation and most studios don't usually go over 3 hours of content anymore with a single dual layer disc.

Really wish they would reissue this as a 2-disc-set to devote an entire disc to the movie.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
One of my alltime favorite comedies. EVER!

I do like the "new" scenes that are included on the DVD...although part of me would love to have the 'normal' version that I grew up with.

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the original posters question, the CE Laserdisc and CE dvd are made from the same transfer, i.e. feature the same "as complete as can be" cut of the film.

I love that laserdisc! No compression artifacts and a nice gatefold sleeve! Includes (I believe) at least all the same extras that were ported over to the dvd something like a year later. (This came out waaaaaay toward the end of the LD cycle, and coinsided with the LD release of the sequel, so it must have been sometime in 2000.)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Although the soundtrack is fantastic, the movie has been heavily filtered (ie very soft looking) so that the 2.5-hour movie and an hour long documentary are on a single dual layer disc. Close to 3.5 hours on a single disc compromises the quality of the film presentation and most studios don't usually go over 3 hours of content anymore with a single dual layer disc.
Like most Columbia R2 dvds, the filtering on the PAL R2 of Blues Brothers is nowhere near as bad as it's R1 counterpart. It looks quite crisp actually, although the thought of BB sped up would put most of you guys off methinks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks