What's new

Blu-ray outselling HD DVD? (1 Viewer)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...rticle_ID=9539

I know I'll get flamed for this, but seeing as the Samsung costs double the price of the Toshiba unit, this is good news indeed. To be fair, the article mentions more HD DVD units have been sold in the past 3 weeks: those who were waiting for BD or Samsung in particular jumped in immediately. HD DVD enjoys strong word of mouth and better quality transfers.

We'll see how the sales come out with Panasonic and Pioneer players about to hit in the next 6 weeks. Sharp & Sony have their players in October, I know a lot of people are waiting for Sony's in particular.

I know the HTF in general is tilted towards HD DVD, but sales figures like this is what the studios look at. Universal is probably watching this with interest.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

Uh, time to change the title of this thread.

To be sure, this is a badly written article that does nothing but spread confusion--which may have been its purpose.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Spread confusion?

They tallied the sales figures for the past 6 weeks, since the launch of BD.

Retailers have had 44% more revenue, marketshare for BD at this time is 54%.

It could very well change over the next few weeks in HD DVD's favor, but with more BD players about to be released & additional studios coming on line anything is possible.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
This is ridiculous. The article is VERY misleading. The Samsung unit is twice as expensive as the Toshiba. The fact is that there are MORE HD DVD units selling. HD DVD is out-selling the Blu-Ray units. So with your logic Samsung should have priced its Blu-Ray player at $2000 and it would REALLY be ahead!! Gimme a break. You need a math class. The objective here is to put as many units in the marketplace as possible. HD DVD has achieved a sizeable lead where it counts. Don't be so lame brained.

I'd also like to see the software sales. I bet HD DVD is clobberin' Blu-Ray there as well. You watch how dramatic the lead will be when all those Universal and Warner "A" titles hit the store shelves. We are rapidly approaching the 4th quarter and there have been no significant Blu-Ray announcements only postponements. Wait till people realize they can't play many of these titles on their $1000 investments.

Check out this article, it seems to imply that there may be a problem playing movies on the PS3!! Boing Boing

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
The article forgets to factor in that 75% of the Samsung players were returned within two weeks. Of course the player is going to sell better in it's first week or two that a player that has been out for four months.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
It certainly seems likely that neither player is selling very well right now, and any difference is of little overall importance. Since being earlier to market was a key claim of HD DVD it was expected they would sell far more players than BD early on. If they aren't, and even if the figure is just 33%, that doesn't bode well for them unless they can get some other manufacturers releasing new decks soon. I think the next BD machines are due in Sept, so there might be some interesting stories around that time as well.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
My friend returned his after a week or so of use, and the player is still sitting at Best Buy as an open box item. Hasn't moved an inch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Such posting behavior is not welcome here! Please, refrain from such comments in the future. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No! If anybody reads any similar comments on this forum, please, use the report the post function immediately without responding to it. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I second the call for evidence. Otherwise, you're just lying. Not to mention, if you read the article, it mentions sales from a six week period. I know it hurts that half-price hasn't meant twice the sales, but there's no need to make stuff up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, refrain from calling somebody a liar without giving them a chance to respond to your call for evidence.

Geez, look at the responses just one little article can cause.

Crawdaddy

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the worst and most mis-leading articles I have ever read. Between this and their Star Wars DVD coverage of a couple months ago, it is apparent they need to 1) bone up on their subject area, and 2) hire a better editor.

Edited to say:

Perhaps the most misleading thing about the article isn't the body of text, but the title itself.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Here I think that you are in error. While there are certainly very passionate advocates of both formats, it is my impression that most of the forum has no favorite.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I would appear the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war causes a lot of tension here. It's almost as if some people feel they personally being attacked because dissagreement of information. It is nice stuff, HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray, but it is only stuff. There is nothing to lose your heads over.

I don't think we will see a deffinitive victory of a format for at least a year. Each format has their problems and their good points. Most people likely don't want to put $500-1000 on a new format, plus the more expensive media, just yet. Once HDMI gets on the ball and VC1 becomes common place with each format, then we can do a comparitive study. The numbers and percents of sales now don't really project anything about the future of these formats success, at least not in my opinion.

Seth=L

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I'll 3rd the call as well as point out that Toshiba's sales figures are including the many, many returns that they had in the 1st six weeks of their release due to HDMI errors, slow load times, freezing, skipping, all problems that were reported here and other sites like Digital Bits and most of which have been fixed with firmware updates but the point is there are just as many if not more returned Toshiba units in the total as Samsung units.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

So let's see HD DVD has been available longer, and during the six week period after the Samsung was available, the Toshiba still outsold it by 33%.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
This quote from the article is the most telling:

How can Blu-ray be "outselling" HD-DVD when the very article says that Toshiba has sold 33% more units during the time frame?

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks