What's new

Blondie (1957) - Classicflix Kickstarter See Post #7 (1 Viewer)

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
The Blondie movie series, with the replaced credits, is being shown one title per week on the MOVIES! OTA channel on Saturdays at 1PM Eastern. Today is #12, "Blondie for Victory".

Thanks, Bob. None of our channels here carry that as one of their subcarrier services. I follow them on Twitter and wish we could get it.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
To clarify further, we're scanning them in HD as we speak. Whether or not the title will be released on Blu however, depends if this campaign is successful. We'll still release it on DVD if the campaign is not successful, but it seems a shame to do so.

Also, bonus features may or may not be part of that release, and clean up will be minimal. Pre-book price won't necessarily be less expensive either as $30 for this blu set, delivered is a good deal as a stand-alone DVD release will likely retail for $35 - $40.

- David

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Is this a collection of the original Blondie movie series from the 30's to 50's or was this later a TV show that I'm not aware of? If its the movies then I will get this.

Update: Nevermind I see this is for a one season tv show from 1957. If this was for the original movie series with their original credits and uncut original runtimes I would be all over this. All we have is a bad film collection from years ago on dvd. That used re-imagined tv versions. They changed the credits and shortened the runtimes to fit in a one hour time slot. They did this back in the 70's and 80's with the Bowery Boys as well. They shortened the films to fit in an hour with commercial and showed an episode a day like it was a rerun of a TV series. That was my first exposure to the bowery boys. So years later watching them uncut on TCM and then DVD was quite an eye opener.

Last edited:

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I would have been happy to pledge 30 dollars for a bluray set. But unfortunately as I live in the UK I could pledge the money but not yet the bluray. It is a shame that this campaign only works for those in the US.

I wanted to contribute, too, but can't, as none of the pledge options allow for shipping outside the U.S.

I asked Classicflix why this was, and this is the response I got:

We've just had too many issues with broken and lost shipments outside the U.S. so we've decided to only ship within the U.S.

Wow, that's the lamest excuse I've heard in a while. I order from the U.S. all the time and never have an issue with broken or lost shipments.

Sounds more like internal incompetence.

Ah well, good luck with it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I wanted to contribute, too, but can't, as none of the pledge options allow for shipping outside the U.S.

We've just had too many issues with broken and lost shipments outside the U.S. so we've decided to only ship within the U.S.

Wow, that's the lamest excuse I've heard in a while. I order from the U.S. all the time and never have an issue with broken or lost shipments.

As Kickstarter programs go, this does strike me as a bit "cut off your nose to spite your face", but it is what it is, I suppose. I'm admittedly in no position to contribute, as it stands.

All the best!

CHEERS! :)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David

I'm glad for your sake you've never had to deal with lost or damaged packages or with a disc that wouldn't play. I can tell you we've found that the losses of shipping internationally generally outweighs the gain and that's why we decided not to have it as a campaign option.

Additionally, we've only licensed Blondie for region 1 so we can't ship it outside of the region territory.

Thanks to all who've pledged!

- David

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm glad for your sake you've never had to deal with lost or damaged packages or with a disc that wouldn't play. I can tell you we've found that the losses of shipping internationally generally outweighs the gain and that's why we decided not to have it as a campaign option.

Additionally, we've only licensed Blondie for region 1 so we can't ship it outside of the region territory.

Thanks to all who've pledged!

- David
Overseas I can readily understand David, but why include Region 1 Canada in the mix? Did you find the damaged packaging percentages to neighboring Canada were really that much worse than your U.S. home base?

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Overseas I can readily understand David, but why include Region 1 Canada in the mix? Did you find the damaged packaging percentages to neighboring Canada were really that much worse than your U.S. home base?

Not so much worse on a delivery/damage scale, but much worse in the sense that sending out a replacement to Canada for anything costs 4X as much as it does to do so domestically.

Been doing this almost 15 years so I'm speaking from experience.

- David

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Not so much worse on a delivery/damage scale, but much worse in the sense that sending out a replacement to Canada for anything costs 4X as much as it does to do so domestically.

Been doing this almost 15 years so I'm speaking from experience.

- David
Fair point. Thank you very much for providing that clarification, David.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm in Canada and have thus far purchased all of my ClassicFlix releases from Amazon.com. I do appreciate the sometimes higher costs of shipping to Canada, and especially the added costs of lost or faulty returns. So I understand the issue and will continue to support them as I can. I'm currently loving ClassicFlix's beautiful restorations of Down 3 Dark Streets, Five Steps to Danger and The Man Who Watched Trains in their beautiful Blu ray editions.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'm in Canada and have thus far purchased all of my ClassicFlix releases from Amazon.com. I do appreciate the sometimes higher costs of shipping to Canada, and especially the added costs of lost or faulty returns. So I understand the issue and will continue to support them as I can. I'm currently loving ClassicFlix's beautiful restorations of Down 3 Dark Streets, Five Steps to Danger and The Man Who Watched Trains in their beautiful Blu ray editions.

As can be seen under my avatar, I am from Canada, too. And I've purchased and enjoyed a half dozen CF releases, through Amazon.com.

However, this is a Kickstarter project, and even if successful, CF has already stated any later releases of the set for general sale will be only a bare-bones release,, no extras, at a higher cost than the KS version.

Why would I want to buy scraps?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I thought you Blondie fans might appreciate this...a colorful trade paper ad for the second theatrical film in the series from 1939...
36617975_1815575358465652_5935935855825780736_n.jpg

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
TCM ran the Blondie movies restored a few months ago when they were running movie series (such as the Bowery Boys, Maisie, Dr. Kildare, Andy Hardy, etc.)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I didn't really care for the 1957 series as Lake was already in his 50s and too old for the part. I have a bunch of them from off CBN I believe. Now, if they want to do the 1968 series, that I would pay for. Loved Patricia Harty ever since Occasional Wife, a great lost 60s show.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The $250 deal offered by Classic Flix was really good so I pledged at that level. I am disappointed that this campaign didn't seem to reach their goal. Hopefully Classic Flix will consider extending it another month or so to allow the word to get out more. This is definitely worth a blind buy for me.

Thanks, David, and best of luck with this and other endeavors! Please don't give up on Blondie in Blu-Ray; if you can extend this another 30/60 days that will help immensely. There are potential buyers who either didn't hear about it or perhaps intended to pledge but time got away. Please don't let Debbie Downers get you discouraged.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks