What's new

Blondie (1957) - Classicflix Kickstarter See Post #7 (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
So, what about following this up with the 1968 color Blondie series?

The 1968 series didn't even last a full season, so probably unlikely it would get a DVD release, but I suppose anything is possible. When Things Were Rotten is a half season sitcom (13 episode run in 1975) that had a DVD release.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
But the 1957 Blondie wasn't a full season series, either. It was a mid-season replacement, running Jan.-Jul. 1957.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
But the 1957 Blondie wasn't a full season series, either. It was a mid-season replacement, running Jan.-Jul. 1957.

The 1957 series has 26 episodes, compared to 13 (or is it 14) for the 1968 series. 26 episodes might not be a full season for 1957 standards, full seasons in those days some series had 39 episodes in a season. But 26 episodes is close enough for me. If the 1957 series had run a full season, it might have had 39 episodes. If the 1968 series had run a full season, it might have had 26 episodes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The 1968 show had things going for it that would make it saleable. For one, it was in color. Also, it starred TV veterans Will Hutchins (Sugarfoot, Hey Landlord), Patricia Harty (Occasional Wife, Bob Crane Show, Herbie the Love Bug) and of course Jim Backus (Gilligan's Island, Hot off the Wire).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah, I'd purchase the 68 show for nothing other than the actors involved. I don't know that I've ever heard of the 68 series, much less seen it. (looks it up real quick...) Ahhh... it came on opposite The Flying Nun which my sister and I both watched. It was also opposite Daniel Boone which I'd watch if my sister wasn't around. That explains it...

I also see that Jim Backus' wife, Henny Backus, played Mrs. Dithers opposite his Mr. Dithers. That makes it even more attractive. It's a shame it couldn't have been included with the 57 series. Still... I'd purchase a copy should it ever see release.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The 1968 show had things going for it that would make it saleable. For one, it was in color. Also, it starred TV veterans Will Hutchins (Sugarfoot, Hey Landlord), Patricia Harty (Occasional Wife, Bob Crane Show, Herbie the Love Bug) and of course Jim Backus (Gilligan's Island, Hot off the Wire).

...and Bruce Lee made a guest appearance in the final episode. It's his only U.S. TV appearance that hasn't surfaced.

Supposedly the 1968 series is lost and elements can't be found.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The 1968 series didn't even last a full season, so probably unlikely it would get a DVD release, but I suppose anything is possible. When Things Were Rotten is a half season sitcom (13 episode run in 1975) that had a DVD release.

That series also was rumored as "lost," though I don't know if that's true or not.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Today on Amazon, the 1957 Blondie series has another price increase, it's now $39.99. But there's also good news, another option has been included. The DVD's can also be ordered thru Amazon from ClassicFlix for $27.99.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I received the Blondie 1957 DVD set today. Haven't watched any episodes yet but will do so over the weekend. Just want to report that the DVD set looks very nice, each disc has a different color. Disc 1 is blue, disc 2 is yellow, disc 3 is green, and disc 4 is orange. Episode descriptions are printed on the inside of the DVD case. Total run time is 676 minutes, which calculates to 26 minutes per episode, so I'm assuming each episode is uncut, no problems with edits.

Thanks to ClassicFlix for releasing this and I hope it turns out to be a top seller and successful release.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I received the Blondie 1957 DVD set today. Haven't watched any episodes yet but will do so over the weekend. Just want to report that the DVD set looks very nice, each disc has a different color. Disc 1 is blue, disc 2 is yellow, disc 3 is green, and disc 4 is orange. Episode descriptions are printed on the inside of the DVD case. Total run time is 676 minutes, which calculates to 26 minutes per episode, so I'm assuming each episode is uncut, no problems with edits.

Thanks to ClassicFlix for releasing this and I hope it turns out to be a top seller and successful release.

Thanks for the compliments on the packaging! We try hard to not only make the video presentation top-notch, but try to do the same for all other aspects of the release.

Here are some pics of what you described:

blondiefront.jpg

blondieinside.jpg

blondierear.jpg

- David

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
My BLONDIE is still in transit, scheduled for Tuesday, but it may show up sooner.

The 1968 series elements should have gone back to Hearst, I would think.

Arthur Lake's real life wife, Patricia, was actually William Randolph Hearst's secret daughter with Marion Davies.

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
"virtually unseen for over 60 years"

This is simply not true, I watched the show in the 80's on the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN). That's the last time it was seen!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, "virtually" means "almost," so I'd say it's true. I doubt its ratings on CBN broke any records.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I agree that 1968 version would make a good release, probably 2 DVDs . Another Will Hutchens show that would be nice to see again ( on DVD) is Hey Landlord. Hopefully , Classic Flix can look into the feasibility of both shows . While I'm posting , I'd like to mention that the quality of the 1957 version is excellent . THANKS , Classic Flix , keep them coming !!!!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'd love to see a good release of the film series.
Yes, it's strange that this popular film series has been so ignored in the era of DVD and BD. I know that there is a 10 film set available , but I'm not sure if that set is legal, and contains complete uncut movies , or is of decent quality.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yes, it's strange that this popular film series has been so ignored in the era of DVD and BD. I know that there is a 10 film set available , but I'm not sure if that set is legal, and contains complete uncut movies , or is of decent quality.
The one I have is decent quality, watchable, but not that great with 5 movies per disc (at ~1 hour each) - but it's the "cut for syndication" versions of the movies. It's also apparently OOP and stupidly expensive. There are several versions of that release - in a tin, separate volumes, etc. all seem to be from Echo Bridge so I'd expect them to all be the same transfers. Those other releases have varying degrees of price with some fairly reasonable if you go for used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks