What's new

Blackout Shades (1 Viewer)

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know where else to put this...
I think I might've convinced my father on the excellent-reviewed Toshiba 40H81(?) HDTV. He's worried about glare, though. So am I, actually.
eek.gif

Does anybody know of any really nice blackout shades? We have a lot of windows in our family room, and there really is no other place we can put this TV.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
Andy

Randy G

Second Unit
Check out this month's Audio Video Interiors. I recall seeing a picture and blurb about them in somebody's luxury home...forgot which one though.
------------------

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
I have the predecessor TW56x81 and like many could not stand the glare that the "screen protector" caused. Even with shades drawn, the ambient light leaking through caused too much glare. There is info floating around on removing the screen guard and it took me about an hour to do it, after that I am able to watch it with all the windows open on a bright and sunny day with no problem.
There were reports that the newer screen guards are not as bad in terms of glare, but after looking at them in a best buy, I think the current toshibas could still benefit greatly by having their screen guards removed. If there are no small children bearing peanut butter or maple syrup in the household, then the screen guard doesn't buy you anything. My cat has been known to slide down the front the now exposed fresnel lense (and he is not de-clawed) without causing any harm at all.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jah-Wren,
And when your cat does eventualy scratch your Fresnel lens
and you have to fork out $500-$700 to replace it you will
wish you had kept the protector on, glare or no glare.
My 61" RCA came with an exposed Fresnell Lens and I simply
could not stand having it exposed to the elements. To start
they are mierable to keep clean and I have a Doberman running
around who is shall we say "Sloppy" I got tired of trying and
I do stress "trying" to keep the screen clean. I pondered buying
a "Super Sheild" from RCA ($300.00) and that was not a realistic
option. I was not about to pay 3 bills for something that should
cost $50 at the most. So I tore my screen apart and measured
the actual lens and had a piece of 1/8" Lucite cut to size
and I installed that in front of the Fresnel Lens and reassembled
the screen. Yes I do get some glare on occasion but the fact
that my screen is now safe not to mention the drastic increase
in picture sharpness (I can run with my sharpness control nearly
turned off!) was well worth it..
I am going to replace my drapes with verticle venetian blinds
and that will eliminate any and all glare for good.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I just purchased Hunter-Douglas electric blinds that are total light blocking. I think they were called Eclipse Opaque. They have received rave reviews by users at AVS Forum. I will tell you more tomorrow after they are in.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed
[Edited last by Michael Lee on November 04, 2001 at 11:38 PM]

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
COOL.
icon14.gif

Those Hunter-Douglass shades look pretty spiffy.
Thanks for the info., guys.
Andy

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
There are three ways you can do the HunterDouglas Blackout Duettes.
1. Conventional manual with a string to raise them.
2. Battery operated PowerRise remote control (reasonably priced motorized remote control)
3. Heavy duty motorized remote control EasyRise for large sizes (expensive)
This is not a product you should try to buy on the internet. Have a local dealer come out and look at your situation, measure and install them. You want the benefit of the lifetime warranty. Of course the internet people will tell you they offer the warranty, and they do, but try and get them to respond to you if you need anything.
Be aware that these shades completely stop light, but light does leak around the edges. You can stop this with hanging drapery side panels or wooden channels that you build. Perhaps with RPTV you can live with the edge leak. With FPTV you usually can't.
We use both approaches to stop the edge leak in our HT with absolute total blackout.
http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html
Deane

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Hey Michael Lee, How about some detailed pics of the shades and install when you get a chance? I would love to see them.
------------------
Luke

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Deane is the expert on this as I followed her threads in the AVS Forum. It led me to make my decision. I agree there is a very slight spillage of light on the edges. Since my Stewart GrayHawk covers that pretty easily, there is no light leakage in my situation.
I am so glad that I did not order these on the internet. Someone must come to your house and make the measurements. I was way off and I thought I was being accurate.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
threads in the AVS Forum
Actually, her is a he, but thanks for the kind words anyway. The e on the end was something my Mother did to me many years ago.
Glad to hear yours are working out Michael. Theres nothing like good light control to make HT work well. I can't imagine adjusting or watching my FP without having total darkness no matter what the outside light situation is.
Another considereration for some installations would be draperies with blackout lining. The additional sound control of the soft fabric could be very beneficial to some rooms. These are more expensive, however. Then there is the traverse rod to consider. Manual pull is fairly cheap, but motorized quickly gets ridiculous in price. You'd also need to deal with light over the top of draperies with some sort of cornice or valance arrangement.
Deane

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Don't use horizontal wood blinds. I have these and while they look very nice they are terrible at blocking out light. Thin slivers of light come through and I can see them reflected on my RPTV. I think I am going to get some inexpensive heavy duty rollup shades to use in additon to my wood blinds. I have large fabric valances that will hide the rollup shades when they are not in use. Anyone have any other ideas that would help with the wood blinds? Thanks.
Jay

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Jay, compare prices on the HunterDouglas blackout Duettes with the roller shades you would use.
The Duettes are much nicer and worth more investment. I'd just hang them in front of the wood blinds, or behind on the inside of the window frame if they will fit. Keep edge leak in mind.
We have two sets of motorized Duettes on our windows. One set is the usual light filtering non-blackcout shades, then there is a second set of motorized that come down in front of them. We have 100% darkness for FP.
http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html
Deane

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Where is a good place online to purchase these shades? And also what is a ballpark figure $$$ that people are paying?
Thanks
------------------
Home Theater Page

Mike E W

Agent
Hunter Douglas makes another product that is a 2 part shade. What I mean by that is that when you drop the shade you start out with a nice decorater freindly shade that is full length, then you keep going and your blackout shade comes down. These do not come motorized and have to be dropped manually. Dont know if WAF is an issue but these helped get the blackouts in my family room. Dont recall the moniker on those but should be easy enough to figure out if you get with someone that carries the line.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Hunter Douglas makes another product that is a 2 part shade. What I mean by that is that when you drop the shade you start out with a nice decorater freindly shade that is full length, then you keep going and your blackout shade comes down.
This product is indeed nice for this purpose and is called the HunterDouglas Duolite. It is about twice the price of a regular honeycomb Duette shade because it is two shades in one. Believe it or not, I have actually had them motorized but it is about $600 per window.
Deane

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I spent some time today with the HunterDouglas corporate Vice President in charge of the Duette division. He was very interested in the HTF and the use of HD product for home theater room darkening. He is planning to monitor this forum and the AVS forum to get a better feel for the shade needs for home theaters.
It gave me an opportunity to request some new product, such as a motorized rod at a reasonable price for screen curtains. I also discussed control functions such as interfacing with Pronto and Crestron.
I now know that HD is becoming aware of the home theater market and the needs. Once again this forum is providing a link between a major company and the consumer. We should all benefit.
Deane

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I am definately going to look at some Hunter Douglas shades then for my sliding glass door in my living room..
I need something with waf, that will also keep all the light out!

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I do not really have any input,reading this because I need to work on light control myself.I just wanted to thank Deane for one heck of a website!Very well put together and a very nice system
------------------
Chad's DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks