What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Black Mirror (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am surprised that I could not find a thread for this show. (none show up in the search)

I just started watching Black Mirror a few weeks ago. It is on Netflix. I am half way through season 3 and am really loving it. I am finding that watching alone is really frustrating. After nearly ever episode, I want to discuss it with someone. I can't even find anyone at work that watches it.

Are there any fans here?

It is sort of the Twilight Zone for the digital age. Very creepy and thought provoking. Every episode is stand alone but they all are about some dystopian view of our near future.

It is easy to binge. The first season is only 3 episodes, 2nd is 4 episodes and the 3rd is only 6 episodes. Be warned that on Netflix for some reason the order of the season is backwards and if you just start watching it will start with Season 3, Episode 1. Season 1 and 2 are further down the list.

A word of warning. The first episode contains pretty outrageous (and perverted) subject matter. Not for the prude. But even so, it does bring up interesting ideas about crowd mentality and the almost perverted pleasure people get out of watching horrendous things in the news.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Watched them all, too. Really enjoyed every episode. Nosedive was my favourite, followed by San Junipero. The Christmas episode (White Christmas) was great, too.

Regarding the episode order, Netflix originally only licensed the third series (which it also commissioned). Series one and two were licensed to the now-defunct Shomi here in Canada (and I assume some other service in the US). Shomi shut down on November 30, 2016, and Netlifx began hosting Black Mirror series 1 and 2 the next day. I'm sure something similar happened in the US.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think San Junipero was my favorite. But that might be because it was one of the few (or only) one that ended on a positive note.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, they don't call it Black Mirror for nothing. But I loved every episode for great thought-provoking ideas about the dark side of our ever-advancing technology. If this series had been 'submitted for his approval,' Rod Serling would have approved.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What episode do people feel is the most likely to become reality?

Sadly, I think that "Nosedive" is where we are curently heading. "Celebrities" are already being judged by how many followers they have, etc. It won't be long before companies start offering discounts to people who can prove they have over 10,000 followers on twitter. Moving from follower counts to personal ratings can't be that far fetched.

I also think that the drone bees in "Most Hated in the Nation" are probably not that far off. If the microwave can spy on us, why not killer bee drones. :) The bad thing is that the concept of using drone bees to polinate is actually a very good idea. Then to find out they are able to spy for the Gov just hits really hard now in the current times we live. Although making them self-replicating is just asking for trouble. LOL

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed it, but I have to admit I was pretty conflicted on it because while I felt like every episode intrigued me in some way, I also came away disappointed in most because I felt like they could have been developed better. A perfect example is the episode, 'The Entire History of You'. I've thought about that very topic in the past - the ability to go back and retrieve an entire video/audio history of your own life. But it was disappointing that the episode went the direction of a jealous husband and focused on that. I thought there was so much more potential with that topic. They merely touched on it a little in the beginning.

I think San Junipero was my favorite. But that might be because it was one of the few (or only) one that ended on a positive note.
There is a theory that the ending wasn't all that positive. But that was probably my favorite episode as well. That, or 'White Christmas'.

What episode do people feel is the most likely to become reality?
Apparently we're already there with 'Be Right Back'.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just starting now. I LOVED the Showtime reboot of "Outer Limits" a few years ago, this fills the void from that kind of show.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
ScottH, That theory about the ending of San Junipero really isn't sad to me either. (If that is what was the true meaning). I see either ending as positive. Maybe I am just wanting some positivity at least once out of this series.

On a not so positive note, I was just thinking about "The Waldo Moment" and I suspect about half the population of the U.S is feeling like that one has already happened. Except, in the TV Show, Waldo didn't win. :)

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Be Right Back is still my favorite episode. You should try watching Ex Machina followed by Be Right Back. They link up exceptionally well.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
'Community' was streets ahead on this idea, with the MeowMeowBeanz app in the App Development and Condiments episode. It didn't end well there either.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Black Mirror is a brilliant show. I am amazed at the quality here. Really topical, and it definitely has a "Twilight Zone" vibe re: the anthology aspect. I'm sure many of us can relate to a lot of these episodes. The obvious "message" here is the scary over-reliance we have on technology & how this is negatively affecting our lives.

Not going to go into a review of the entire series so far, just some episodes from S01 - S03:

-The Christmas episode (between Seasons 2 & 3) was fantastic. I could easily see the smooth Don Draper from "Mad Men" (Jon Hamm) running a "dating service" where he gives advice to guys re: how to dress & score with women - LOL.

The sequence when the various characters were "blocked" & couldn't interact with/see other people reminded me of an episode in the '80's TZ, when people were deemed "pariahs" and were ignored by the rest of society.

-One of my favorite episodes was S03, E02 which is set in the future where everyone can see everyone else's "rating" via a eye technology, and where everyone is constantly on their I-phones, etc. hits to home. This is obviously based on Facebook & likes on social media sites.

I also hate weddings, since people act so fake (at all the ones I've been to). The woman's "friend" who was getting married was a truly horrible, manipulative person. So, I was amused when the main character went off on this "friend", thereby shocking the audience. The final scene - when the woman & the guy were cussing each other out from the jail cells was HILARIOUS - I liked how they were so over the top insulting to each other, and how it was obviously a catharsis for both of them.

-San Junipero: One of the most poignant episodes of any TV series I've ever seen. This was definitely relatable to me due to both the partial '80's setting (I'm an '80's kid & a huge fan of that era) & the nursing home aspect: I've had relatives in nursing homes, and understand how difficult an existence that is - i.e. being in such bad physical shape that you can't take care of yourself, etc. So, having technology available to you where you can "escape" that horrible existence by going into a fantasy world where you're young/healthy/vibrant & where life is a never-ending party is extremely attractive.

The love story/relationship between the two main characters was quite touching; I'm not a huge fan of love stories in films/TV series, but this was very effectively done here.

Amazing '80's soundtrack as well, including INXS, Belinda C., Robert Palmer, OMD, etc.

One of my favorite scenes was when the young woman was trying to figure out what to wear to the club, and stood in front of the mirror trying on various outfits, while playing different '80's songs on her cassette deck; each specific song correlated somewhat to the outfit she was wearing - very nostalgic.

- "Men on Fire" - this was the episode where the military got implants so that they were seeing "the enemy" as horrible monsters/aliens, but they were actually normal humans. Excellent, and obviously a metaphor for the way that "the enemy" in any given situation is demonized by the news media, in order to make it "easier" for them to be seen as sub-human.

Last edited:

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Recently discovered this series and I'm probably one of the few that really dislikes it but won't for now stop watching though my patience is wearing very thin. I keep hoping they get better. This anthology series displays some of the worst in human behavior that I've seen in a while with some truly reprehensible and disgusting stuff in at least 2 episodes I can think of (White Bear and The National Anthem). Lord, people how sick can one's taste get? I certainly don't feel at all good after watching these. There are other shows I should gravitate back to if I know what's good for me. Wallow in it if you must but I wouldn't hoist this up for any awards or as anything truly worthy of anyone's time. I thought the Brits had better taste. I was wrong.:angry:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Recently discovered this series and I'm probably one of the few that really dislikes it but won't for now stop watching though my patience is wearing very thin.

There are some standout episodes and some very much less so.

But if you dislike it that much why keep watching?

IMO they seem to have run out of ideas in later seasons as so many episodes just seem to be variations of the "consciousness transferred to a machine" theme.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Somehow I’ve gone a while now without having finished the series, and I only had one left. I think it’s called “Smithereens”.

I generally really like the show, even if certain plot devices were repeated here and there. My absolute favorite was the one called “Shut Up and Dance” but “San Junipero” is also up there.

I will saw at least two episodes were dark enough I may skip them if I were to ever rewatch it all. Those would be “White Christmas” and “Crocodile”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks