What's new

Black Holes - What's on the other side? (1 Viewer)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I believe the intense gravity and energy bends space-time and sends the matter "back in time", thus fueling the Big Bang that started/will start our universe.

No beginning, no end, only cycles.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Some theories say that black holes are wormholes to other places...
However, I only believe what is scientifically proven, namely that "black holes" have a density which equals the entire Earth compressed to about 1 cm³.
All matter and all particles are sucked into this enormous mass, and so the term "black hole" is actually misleading, it's more like a "black ball" with minimal size and maximal mass! :)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Interesting question. It'll take more physics than I know to start understanding even the fundamentals of these things.

Jeff

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I guess it depends on what you think happens when the singularity occurs. If the singularity is just that, the size of the last particle before the matter blinks out of the black hole, then that would be an awfully small hole to go through. If the hole is actually the size of an atomic particle then it probably wouldn't matter where the black hole came out.

However, if the "winking out of existance" effect is somewhat more catastrophic, then perhaps a much bigger hole, leading into a wormhole is formed. Astronomers have detected jets of gas extending from points in space, and it is possible that these are the wormhole exists in our universe.

Other possibilities include the wormhole going to another universe or a parallel universe or even another dimension. Also, early cosmological theory proposed that Black Holes shrink as they consume matter until they eventually "wink" out of existance themselves.

Another point to consider is that physics on the other side of the event horizon could get pretty nasty. With that kind of gravity at play and the whole singularity business, it could do any number of things on the other side of the Event Horizon that we haven't even started to theorize.

Kenneth

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What we know about physics can be fairly tossed to the wind when it comes to the matter (no pun) of black holes. But what we do know is this: There is no way anyone or anything would be able to survive being drawn into a black hole. Forget about it.

Wormholes are another phenomenon altogether, though distantly related.

Astronomers now think that super-massive black holes are at the core of every galaxy; they may, in fact, be integral to the formation and "maintenance" of galaxies.

This affects everything in a galaxy, all the way out to the galactic rim.

A generation ago, it was believed that colliding galaxies would have virtually no effect on the individual stars. We now see that that is not correct. Given that super-massive black holes are the engines "driving" galaxies--and given that our galaxy is on a collision course with M-31 (he so-called Andromeda Galaxy), things may get a bit thick in this cosmic neighborhood come a billion or so years from now--as in total catastrophe.

All the more reason for the human race to aspire to interstellar travel.

John Beavers

Second Unit
Some interesting thoughts I gathered on my last journey through the internet black hole:

In discussing Black holes matter in all ways is relative to its enviroment.

Basically I feel ALL matter space and the "Concept" of time are all relative.

Time does not exist, it passes and therefor is measured.

Size is relative to it`s enviroment.

a grain of sand is larger than many worlds, but small in relationship to our world.

Our ability to conceptualize size is based on our enviroment. Not on the reality of matter as it exist.

Whats on the other side of a black hole? Everything that went through it, plus what was there before. If it is just a very, very small hole in a balloon of space, it is at the same time very large and very small.

If you could travel at 1000 times the speed of light outward into space, I think you would never reach the edge or end of space. I think there is no end.

Thats unless you have seen both "THE MATRIX AND THE 13TH FLOOR".

Can time in relationship to a particular instance be altered by the item in question going through a energy hole and coming out on the other side? is there anyway to send a message through a worm or black hole?

Can black holes basically cancel themselves out. I mean can matter flow from one location through one worm/black hole to another location, while matter from the second location flows through another black/worm hole to another location. Maybe going back to the first or to a seperate 3rd location in sort of a pressure equalizeing process but on a very large scale?

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Given that super-massive black holes are the engines "driving" galaxies--and given that our galaxy is on a collision course with M-31 (he so-called Andromeda Galaxy), things may get a bit thick in this cosmic neighborhood come a billion or so years from now--as in total catastrophe.
All the more reason for the human race to aspire to interstellar travel.
Considering how many light years away the nearest galaxies are and the fact that we can't even travel as fast as a 10th of the speed of light, we'd better get the boogy on.:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think it is a "place" beyond our understanding or explanation by physics. I agree with the bending of time to a point of the "big bang". Of course, we know it is a star and assuming we did not thorougly disintegrate trying to navigate the black hole, I think what would be there would be more than a collapsed star.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Never saw "Event Horizon" huh? The other side is evil. Pure evil.
Event Horizon rocks. That's still the only film I've ever seen that's actually given me nightmares (not so much for its brilliance as its rather graphic depictions of hell!).

"Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
These part of physics isn't my thing, but basically black holes aren't holes. Put all those images of cosmic funnels out of your mind.

A black hole is a super-duper dense, has-been star. A chunk of rock so dense that its gravitational field traps everything that gets too close, including light.

The $25,000 question, then, is what does such a beast do to space/time? It bends it, for sure (that's what gravity does in general). But does it actually punch a hole in space/time? Does that hole punch re-emerge elsewhere in the universe? And can you get a decent 'burger at the other side?

I don't think there are any hard answers yet.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
A black hole is a super-duper dense, has-been star. A chunk of rock so dense that its gravitational field traps everything that gets too close, including light...The $25,000 question, then, is what does such a beast do to space/time? It bends it, for sure (that's what gravity does in general). But does it actually punch a hole in space/time?
Here is an analogy, similar to the one used in Cosmos, that seems to make sense to a neophyte (computer programmer, not a physicist or astronomer) like me. If you imagine space-time as being a sheet of latex rubber and a massive star as a bowling ball, the weight of the ball (mass of the star) indents the sheet (bends space-time), in essence creating a "gravity well". Now if that massive star were to collapse down to a singularity--imagine the same amount of force on the latex that a bowling ball would apply, but in the area of the point of a pin. In other words, apply 16 lbs. of force with a point of a sewing needle on the sheet of latex. If it doesn't make a really deep pucker it'll puncture the latex and the star (pin) will disappear out of our existence as we know it. Now you have a black hole, a tear in the fabric of space-time.
Now where does that hole go? If space-time is "curved" (in a fourth dimension--in our latex analogy the rubber is the surface of a balloon), perhaps the hole simply drops you into a fourth dimension where you'd float aimlessly (inside the balloon), or "fall" toward the center of the 4-dimensional universe, or (if the fabric stays intact) perhaps it'll work its way to another part of the universe (the other side of the balloon). But if the universe is actually "flat" and not "curved" then perhaps there are many layers of latex, and when you "fall" through the black hole you'll land in another 3-dimensional universe, parallel to but different from ours.
It's fascinating and mind boggling to think about it. But it's almost the only way to get an understanding of a fourth dimension, by removing one dimension from the discussion (universe being a sheet or balloon).
Oh well, that's enough incoherent rambling for one day, especially on a topic I know so little about! :)
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks