What's new

Black Hawk Down 2003 Release (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This has probably already been anounced, but Columbia has said that the 2-Disc Special Edition of Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down has been moved from a late 2002 release to a early 2003 release. The reason: they have already packed the 4th quarter with too many DVD titles, such as Stuart Little 2, Men in Black 2, and Spiderman. Now thats a first. Lets see: Spiderman was a good flick, MIB 2 was ok but not great, and Stuart Little 2 isn't even out yet. I guess Columbia is pretty optimistic about Box Office performance, but they should really look at quality over quantity.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I'd rather have Spiderman and MIB2. I watched BHD this week. It was OK, but for me, once is enough. Wasn't good enough to see again.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Considering MIB 2 made almost 100 million this weekend, yeah

It suffered from extreme cuts to remove the World Trade Center, I guess we can only hope that maybe someday the original version is available

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Shame on the delay, but you know what, given the amount of other purchases I am making this autumn/winter, I am kind of glad to have one less to buy this year and be granted one more to look forward to in the new year.

Dan

Han

Second Unit
I think it's kind of absurd since BHD was released much earlier than the other titles, and there couldn't have been that much more work to be done on the SE versus the plain release.

Anyway, I will only get the SE whenever that comes out. Even though I think the movie is great, I can't see myself watching it more than 2 more times over the next 5 years. On the other hand, a good Spiderman DVD and an okay MIB2 DVD, I will probably watch more than 5 times each over that same span. They're just much easier to digest.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Yes. Why are they removing the WTC, while in 5 years, J. Buckeimer is gonna make a movie about the WTC event?
???
Btw, I hope they don't rush Spider-Man and make a good 3 disc out of it.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Charlie, will the subtitles be correctly placed within the film frame on the SE? The initial release miffed a few fans who run mattes on their TVs and, in most cases, their front projection set ups.
Columbia just love their player generated subtitles, and on 2.40:1 stuff they just insist on having them flow into the lower widescreen bar. Phantom Menace DVD went with player generated subs, but they sat nicely within the film frame in anamorphic playback which is a prefered option. Original burned in subs are always nicer of course... :D
Dan

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I would just like to say that I can not wait for this Specila Edition. Even though I am a little disappointed that it is being delayed cause of some other movies which I didn't enjoy that much have to be released as SE's even though a rerelease will happen sometime after for them. On the bright side, I do have full faith in Charlie de Lauzirika and Ridley Scott. These guys asa team have shown they know what DVD is all about and have yet too fail me in anyway in their releases. And Mr. Lauzirika, that qoute you just said just makes the waiting that much harder!;)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Dan, it's my understanding that the subtitles on the upcoming SE will be the original theatrical burned-in ones, and not those nasty player-generated subs.

As far as how many discs this set will have, no official announcement has been made, so don't fret over rumors or speculation. Just rest assured that it will be a very robust package.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
What happens on a 16x9 set with those subtitles? Do they slide up or what?

I got through 1 1/2 hours of BHD and lost interest. Maybe I'll give it a second go around when the SE ships.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
What happens on a 16x9 set with those subtitles? Do they slide up or what?
With Columbia's player generated ones? On 2.35:1 (or 2.40:1, call it what you will) movies columbia will often go with player generated subtitles. On a 4:3 screen, the subtitle stream will sit completely in the lower black bar.

On a 16:9 screen, when the disc is run anamorphic, the subtitles will stay fixed in the same position, but since the 16x9 enhanced playback reduces the size of the black bars opening the image to fill more of the screen, what you get is the subtitles hanging over the lower half of the film frame whilst at the same time, dropping into the lower widescreen bar. With that, anyone using mattes on their TV or front projection system effectively covers up part of the subtitles and has to remove the lower matte.

Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone verify if the SE of BHD will contain a DTS track? I know this has been speculated, but does anyone know for certain?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dan, it's my understanding that the subtitles on the upcoming SE will be the original theatrical burned-in ones, and not those nasty player-generated subs
Great news, Charlie! Any chance you can get to working on a new This is Spinal Tap SE DVD? ;) :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There we go, right from the man himself that it'll be "very robust" :)
Charlie, you, Mr. Scott and Columbia have my money already, because Mr. Scott's directorial eye never dissapoints, and your DVDs are never short of excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks