- Production Design
- Storyboards
- Multi-Angle Storyboard / Shot Comparisons
- Ridleygrams
- Camera and Lens Tests
Production
- Unit Photography Montages
- Continuity & Costume Polaroids
- Photos By Jerry Bruckheimer (W/ Bruckheimer Commentary)
- Production Interview Archive
Post-Production
- Post-Production Interview Archive
- Animatics And Vfx Tests
- Poster Art & Print Ads
- Premiere Footage
(DVD added value - information correct at time of issue)
Maybe we can expect something similar for the R1 SE.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather this come out over Spidey and MIB2, because I will not be purchasing either of those.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The extras sound good and I would imagine R1 will be similar. Does this R2 release have DTS?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
As far as how many discs this set will have, no official announcement has been made, so don't fret over rumors or speculation. Just rest assured that it will be a very robust package.
And that's exactly why I am happy to rent now and patiently wait till 2003 to buy the kick-ass version. :)
I'm certain I won't be let down especially considering the material to be worked with here. I am hopeful that at least some of the special content is going to be focused on documenting the real events for comparison and historical interest.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Steve Tk. I've been waiting for the BHD SE, and have put off buying the current version in anticipation of it. I' m miffed to hear that it's being postponed because of Spidey and MIB 2, as I have no plans to buy either one of those.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Personally, I'm happy to wait till early 2003 for this.
There are way too many buys in the 4th quarter already.

As for who likes what,hey, to each their own. Not everybody likes everything. I'm really looking forward to Spiderman...

Charlie, thanks for the update. You've posted updates here & there on the things you have/are working on, & I for one really appreciate. BHD:SE will be in my library.

Calvin

Matt_P

Second Unit
It's great to hear that this title is getting the SE treatment it deserves. I have been holding out on buying the first release in anticipation of the next. A delay til 2003 is somewhat dissapointing, but I'm sure the extra time will make this release even more superb. From the hints dropped so far, I'm more excited than ever.

I'm ecstatic that the subs are burned into the print. This just creates a more seamless film viewing experience (one of the reasons I upgraded my old Traffic DVD to the new Criterion Collection release).

Keep up the good work, Charlie! It's great to see you discussing your superb work in an open forum!

P.S. Is it possible we'll see an isolated score on the DVD? Being a big film score fan, this is one of my favorite DVD features that does not get used nearly enough. Zimmer's ethnically techno score would sound great in 5.1!!!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

I wonder if the R1 will be better than the R2. Usually, when the R2 is released before the R1 it just means they wanted our (European) money as fast as possible, and the R1 will be done properly (see the upcoming BTTF).

I guess I'll hold out for the R1, just in case. I mean, if I'm gonna wait for the SE anyway, I might as well wait for the best one.

Chris

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Is it possible we'll see an isolated score on the DVD?
Matt, I'm a huge supporter of isolated scores on DVD. Unfortunately, it's becoming virtually impossible to include them. There's a whole hornet's nest of business and legal complications involved. So the answer to your question is "no." However, the creation of the BHD score will be explored on the SE DVD.

Speaking of disc content, the DVD specs announced for R2 are not completely accurate and seem to have come from a very old proposal I put together for CTHE ages ago. Wait for the real specs to get announced. I think most people will be pleased.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Thanks for your reply, Charlie. Good to hear you're a fan of isolated scores, as well!

Legal complications seem to be the overriding force when it comes to the inclusion of isolated scores. I still hope that this feature becomes more common in the future (one can dream!). It would be great if composors advocated for the inclusion of their work on DVD during the pre-production/contract process, thereby eliminating some of the legal tape. I suppose record companies are the biggest hurdle... It's too bad this is the case. DVDs like Traffic Criterion and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (a disc I bought primarily for the isolated Elliot Goldenthal score w/commentary) are greatly enhanced by the score's inclusion. Nevertheless, I look forward to the featurette that includes material on the creation of BHD's score. It's always nice to see behind the scenes material that recognizes the vitally important contributions composors make to film.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It would be great if composors advocated for the inclusion of their work on DVD during the pre-production/contract process, thereby eliminating some of the legal tape.
Composers often are the ones who don't want the isolated score present on the DVD. Isolated scores quite frequently get bootlegged and become available online, resulting in a loss of income to the composers.

DJ

DanR

Supporting Actor
While I'm a bit miffed at CTHV for delaying this, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. If Ridley and Charlie weren't working on this SE, I think I'd just go to the store and buy the version that is out. CTHV is basically making us all wait well over 1 year to get a special edition of this fine film.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait, but CTHV seriousy needs to look at and possibly review many facets of their recent DVD strategy (and I'm not just talking about the way they've handled Black Hawk Down).

Thanks again to Charlie for keeping our interest high and re-assuring us it will be worth the wait imposed on us by CTHV. Hopefully, this is the last film Ridley will make at Sony Pictures.

Regards,
Dan

Matt_P

Second Unit
Composers often are the ones who don't want the isolated score present on the DVD. Isolated scores quite frequently get bootlegged and become available online, resulting in a loss of income to the composers.
Probably true. However, following this line of reasoning, wouldn't composers be against CD releases even more than DVD isolated tracks? I cannot see that this would be a paramount concern when CD releases of sountracks are far more easily bootlegged, copied, Napstered, and redistributed to a much larger degree, leading to a greater loss of revenue than would ever be incurred by those few with the time and capabilites to copy an isolated DVD track, master it, reproduce it, and distribute it. The extra sales of the DVD w/isolated score from those interested in such a feature would certainly help remedy this deficit, the bootleg-related losses from which could not match the losses stemming from the unauthorized copying of a regular CD, a task easily accomplished. I would think the composors would want to make their work as widely available in a commercial setting as possible, leading to more income, regardless of bootlegging concerns.

Or maybe I don't have all the facts. Whatever the cause, it's frustrating.

Bootlegging...argh...it's always a probelm in the world of media.

Back to Black Hawk Down SE...

The first DVD is one of the few titles I've seen that actually have the full 2.40:1 ratio labeled on the package and presented on the disc. It's been debated, but many say that 2.35:1 films are truly 2.40:1 theatrically, but are presented later in 2.35:1. The difference is clearly marginal, but debatable. Any final word on this detail? I believe BHD was shot in Super35, which lends itself to flexibility of matting. As long as the film is in OAR, no matter what the ratio, I'm happy.

Since the SE is to have burned in subs, I'm assuming a new transfer is being made.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Speaking of disc content, the DVD specs announced for R2 are not completely accurate and seem to have come from a very old proposal I put together for CTHE ages ago. Wait for the real specs to get announced. I think most people will be pleased.
That's strange, because those specs for the R2 release were taken straight from the official Columbia Tristar press release (as shown on The R2 Project website). However, it does have a disclaimer at the bottom saying "DVD added value - details correct at time of issue".
Anyway, I'm sure Charlie would know more about this than I do, so I won't disagree with him :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks