What's new

biwire (1 Viewer)

hi i am up grading my HT set up i have replaced my jvc 8000rec. with a onkyo 898,so now i will be able to run 7.1 my choice for speakers is as follows-fronts-rt1000i,center c400,2 sets of fx500i for rears all polks.my first question is reguarding speaker wire,I can run biwire to the fronts and center but the rears only have regular hook ups will this make any differace to the sound. second question since all my new equipment has not yet arrived WILL I BE HAPPY with my pics thx stevebiwire

Stefan A

Second Unit
Well, I am glad I could read your post :). Regarding your first question, yes, biwire the front speakers. I believe the difference is a good one. When I switched, I immediately heard a difference. Yes, the sound will be different, but not in a bad way. It will work fine. Biwiring does not change the timber of the speaker - which is what you have to watch out for when choosing speakers.
I do not understand what you mean by your 2nd question.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Hello Steven! Welcome to HTF. I've got my system set up as you describe (only 5 speakers though). I've got bi-wire to my B&W fronts and centre, and mono-wire to my KEF rears. Sounds really good (to my ears at least). My fronts are from my old days of just audio, and they were bi-wired then. When I got the centre I had some cable left over so used it to bi-wire the centre.
Can you turn down the font size on your posts please :)

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I have the Polk 800I for the fronts, 600I for the back. I bi-amped the front speakers. They sound fantastic. As much as bi wiring is an improvement over mono wiring, bi-amping is an improvement over bi-wiring.IMO I am extremely happy with the sound I get.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yes Steve welcome to the Home Theater Forum! By all means biwire the fronts and even the center. Many dedicated rears do not have the biwire capabilities (my Mirage OM-R2's don't) and the truth is don't need them although if using speakers that cover most of the audio spectrum (25 Hz - 22 Khz), biwiring these would be an asset.
So you decided with the Onkyo instead of the Denon. Regardless of which one you went with you will not be dissapointed! Again welcome and don't be shy to ask your questions here regarding home theater.
And like the others said, please turn down the font size. Nobody likes to get yelled at :)

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm going to be the contraian here. Don't bother to buy-wire any of your speakers. It dosen't do a thing for the sound and it ends up costing twice as much to wire your speakers as it would normally. Some will say that it's better to have one wire for the highs and one for the lows, but I ask you: how do the electrons know which speaker they are bound for? The answer is they don't, you are just sending a full range signal through each wire. Use a good heavy guage of wire 12 or 14 AWG, and you'll be fine.

However, if you have the bucks and if the Polks are bi-ampable, bi-amping is a very good thing.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There is no reason to buy expensive cables or biwire with this level of system. Go down to Home Depot and get some 12 gauge wire and hook up your speakers. Consider replacing the clips between the biwiring terminals with cable. Spend that extra money on CDs, DVDs, or some acoustic treatments for your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks