What's new

bi wire best method? (1 Viewer)

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
hey,

i recently got this receiver and so far i love it. however, i will soon get speakers that I plan on bi wiring. my question is , the rxv 659 has front A and front B speaker connections. Normally you would just use the A section but if i want to biwire my fronts than do i use the B section now as well or do i use banana plugs and just piggback on the A section. i hope you guys know what i mean. im just not sure if the B sections is for bi wiring?

thanks

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
No, the B outputs are not for bi-wiring and you don't want to try using them that way because there will be an impedance mismatch.

Why are you planning to bi-wire? I'm asking because the only reason bi-wiring even began was because "back in the day" speaker wires were much smaller, 20 or even 24 AWG, and were limited in their current carrying capability. That's not the case anymore, even Home Depot OFC 12AWG wire has plenty of current carrying capability for almost any consumer power amp, let alone receiver. I have tried bi-wiring, on several different speakers and amps. I heard absolutely no change.

Bi-amping is a completely different scenario, it can make a major difference in how your system sounds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, don't bother with bi-wiring. Bi-amping can be useful, but is not a simple thing, so probably just not realistic.

In fact, I have had my main speakers bi-wired for years and when I get around to it I plan to make them single.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The B terminals still share the same amp channels as the A terminals, and are wired parallel, so it makes absolutely no difference if you use A+B vs just the A terminals - either way, the same amount of power gets to the speaker. I have tried it with my Marantz PM7200 integrated with some boutique wire just to see if it would make a difference and there wasn't.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't say what wire you plan to use. I would just get heavy wire and leave it at that. If you want more wire, go to some Monster cable or something along those lines. Think about it, household wiring carries 1800 watts of AC through 12 guage wire for long distances.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Household A/C and speaker current aren't exactly the same thing though... Still, for speaker wire, for short runs (meaning less than ~50ft), even 14 AWG will carry all of the current needed to run most typical speakers.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

thanks for the info, i plan on using set A for high freq. and set B for low freq.

this should be safe right?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder how exactly you plan on doing that? I mean, how do you plan to send the high frequencies to one wire and low to the other? Are you remotely certain what you are actually trying to do?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene

I think what he meant was that he would bi-wire the fronts by using terminal A to power the tweeters and terminal B to power the woofers, even though John Garcia suggested it wouldn't make a difference anyway. I never thought bi-wiring would make a difference so I haven't tried it. I would like to try bi-amping something someday though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My question remains, exactly how will that be done, unless the speakers are bi-amp capable, which virtually none are, and it really won't be bi-amping anyway.

I'll just say for the last time, get heavy gauge speaker wire and go with that. It is all much ado about nothing.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

well those are not my words however. It says on the yamaha uk site that all of their receivers send high freq through A and low freq through B when Bi-wiring is active.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First of all, I do agree with this.
I've never seen or heard this before but if it's true then it might be worth a try. Just remember to remove the jumper plate between the two binding posts.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is all just very weird. I have to wonder why someone comes in, asks "should I do this?" and then ignores it when basically everyone says "don't bother". If you have no intention of following the advice you receive, then why ask the question? Just do it and don't waste the time of everyone who is trying to help you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In reading that, I didn't get the impression that the receiver is actually splitting the signal into high and low frequencies. It was just a suggestion on which terminal (A or B) to hook up to the tweeter and woofer. I think both A and B would still send a full range signal.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

thanks alot for clearing that up for me. nice to know that you are a good person to talk to. unlike Mr Rice who seems to be very rude in these forums, i have seen him write rude comments in other posts as well. Mr Rice you dont have to reply if you dont want to. I would rather you do that instead of creating conflicts and dark moods in every thread you enter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My opinion stands. Why ask the question when you clearly have already made your decision about what answer you want to hear? Dan Driscoll, John Garcia and I are all here trying to help you, and we are in agreement on this issue, yet you disregard it.

I you want lots of wire mass to conduct the signal, get some Original Monster Cable. It is fairly reasonable in price and as I recall it is 6 gauge. It would take 4 sets of 12 gauge wire to equal that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks