Bipole or dipole?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian^E, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Brian^E

Brian^E Extra

I am about to add some rear speakers to my HT. I will probably mount them on the back wall which is pretty much directly above most of the listening positions. The room is about 13x20 with 12-14 foot ceiling.

Should I get dipoles, bipoles, or switchable?
    How important is it to buy the same brand as the rest of my system?

2. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

I read that it should be dipoles on the sides and bipoles on the rear whether its on a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up.

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

I would recommend bipoles on the back wall. Dipoles are suited on the side walls. People prefer monopoles all-round- I don't, as I prefer the subtle surround sound reproduction of non-direct speakers. You need to borrow a pair of monopoles, bipoles, dipoles (sides) and tripoles and see which you prefer.

You don't really need to match the fronts- just make sure they're good sounding speakers with (similar) sound to your front three. For example don't buy £20 bipoles from a discount retailer if you have top-end front speakers.

4. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

I have a small room where the listening position is only about 2.5 feet to the rear wall. When discussing rear speakers for a 5.1 system that will be used for both music and HT, a Paradigm dealer suggested using their ADP speakers on the rear walls with the in-phase drivers firing toward the side walls. This seems like it would eliminate any localization for multi-channel music. Has anyone tried this arrangement who can share their stories of success or failure?

Thanks-
    Bob