What's new
World Wide Stereo

Bipole or dipole? (1 Viewer)

Brian^E

Grip
I am about to add some rear speakers to my HT. I will probably mount them on the back wall which is pretty much directly above most of the listening positions. The room is about 13x20 with 12-14 foot ceiling.

Should I get dipoles, bipoles, or switchable?
How important is it to buy the same brand as the rest of my system?

728x90

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I read that it should be dipoles on the sides and bipoles on the rear whether its on a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

I would recommend bipoles on the back wall. Dipoles are suited on the side walls. People prefer monopoles all-round- I don't, as I prefer the subtle surround sound reproduction of non-direct speakers. You need to borrow a pair of monopoles, bipoles, dipoles (sides) and tripoles and see which you prefer.

You don't really need to match the fronts- just make sure they're good sounding speakers with (similar) sound to your front three. For example don't buy £20 bipoles from a discount retailer if you have top-end front speakers.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator
I have a small room where the listening position is only about 2.5 feet to the rear wall. When discussing rear speakers for a 5.1 system that will be used for both music and HT, a Paradigm dealer suggested using their ADP speakers on the rear walls with the in-phase drivers firing toward the side walls. This seems like it would eliminate any localization for multi-channel music. Has anyone tried this arrangement who can share their stories of success or failure?

Thanks-
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks