What's new

Billy Preston R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Just heard this on the radio. Billy has passed away at age 59. I haven't heard anymore details. What a bummer!

Manus

Second Unit
Damn!
I got the Concert for George and the Billy's smiling effervescence comes across perfectly.
Will be sadly missed cos they just don't make em that good anymore....

~M~

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
He delivered a fine eulogy of George Harrison on that dark day late in 2001. A fine musician, one who helped The Beatles stay and play together for a little longer. He will be missed.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'd heard he was pretty sick because on the "Stadium Arcadium" DVD, Anthony and Flea said that he was bed-ridden and only briefly got out of bed to record his keyboard part on "Warlocks" and then went right back to bed.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
He wrote some of The Beatles' most upbeat tunes. It was sort of expected that he would die soon, but it's sad nevertheless.

I wonder if Paul McCartney and/or Ringo Starr will be making any statements.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I think I preferred Earth, Wind And Fire's version of "Got To Get You Into My Life", though. It just worked a little better.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Here are the details -

"Preston had been in a coma at Scottsdale Healthcare Shea in Scottsdale, Arizona, since last November after suffering kidney failure and related illnesses, the legacy of a longtime battle with drugs that landed him in prison in the late 1990s. "

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Definitely sad news. A great musician who always seemed like a nice guy.

Billy didn't write any Beatles songs; he played on some of their very late-period stuff.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

Oops. I'm not as much of a Beatles fan as I should be. I'll know next time.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Either way, the man knew what he was doing.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Both times I saw Eric Clapton in concert, BP's solos were one of the highlights. He had a very energetic and entertaining presence and that will stay with me no matter how many more concerts I attend during my life. When I saw him in 2004, the whole crowd was very into his solos. After a couple songs, we all knew to expect some great playing. During "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" when the big screen showed him with a huge grin on his face, before he'd played a single note of his solo the crowd errupted with cheers. The music that followed was simply incredible.
RIP to a very gifted musician.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
There was so much energy and emotion in his music, from his work with the Beatles to his solo efforts such as "I Sang A Simple Song" (George Harrison on guitar on this one), "Will It Go 'Round in Circles" and " Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying".
I saw him in concert and it was one of the most happiest, energetic shows..everyone was clapping, standing or dancing and he and his band were smiling and having a good time on stage!
Such a large contrast to Academy Award winning songs of today...
Rest in peace and thank you, thank you for your music.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh my! I had to check this thread because I was just watching O'Hara's Wife (which is where I first heard a Billy Preston song) and I got to the part where Harriet realizes she died on June 3rd.

I had to check because I knew Billy just died and was creeped out thinking it was June 3rd as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks