What's new

R.I.P. Norman Jewison (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Norman Jewison has passed away at the age of 97.

For me, the first movie that comes to mind of his is always going to be Fiddler On the Roof. Other credits included Moonstruck, In the Heat of the Night, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, Jesus Christ Superstar and A Soldier's Story.

Fiddler.jpeg

May he Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I've only seen one of his films, the 1966 comedy, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

I saw it not to long after seeing It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World back in the early 2000's as a teen.

It's funny and a good introduction to the late great Alan Arkin's career.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
A excellent filmmaker who has a very very good list of films on his resume. My personal favorite is a soldier's story and the wonderful performance he got out of adolph cesar.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A great slate of films of all genres and a master of them all. Though he won the Irving Thalberg award from the Academy (which is an award for producing films of quality), they should hang their heads in shame he was never granted an honorary statuette for his directing. Nevertheless, he's one of the greats and will be greatly missed. R.I.P.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
RIP, Mr Jewison.

In The Heat Of The Night is one of my favourite films. The tension, the atmosphere, the story, the acting, the music... and the direction.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
His range was enviable. Who would think that one person would direct Send Me No Flowers, In the Heat of the Night, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming, and Moonstruck?
Not to mention Rollerball, Fiddler on the Roof, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Cincinnati Kid, And Justice For All, A Soldier's Story, F.I.S.T., The Hurricane and more. He's one of those directors whose name I will sometimes see on a movie and say, "I didn't realize he directed this too!" (Howard Hawks is another)

For some reason I thought he passed away several years ago; Possibly because his last movie (The Statement) was released in 2003.

RIP

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My love of movies truly started when my parents took my sister and me to the (Cinerama) Cooper Theater in Denver to see Fiddler on the Roof when I was nine years old.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I've only seen one of his films, the 1966 comedy, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

I saw it not to long after seeing It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World back in the early 2000's as a teen.

It's funny and a good introduction to the late great Alan Arkin's career.
Trust me, explore his filmography. A collectively understated body of work that also brings much food for thought, without cramming it down our throats. A simply great and humane director.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Jewison.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Trust me, explore his filmography. A collectively understated body of work that also brings much food for thought, without cramming it down our throats. A simply great and humane director.

Looking back at his filmography I have only seen 3, Send Me No Flowers, Russians Are Coming, and Moonstruck.

Send Me No Flowers was the first Rock Hudson and Doris Day film I ever saw on AMC back in the early 2000's.

I've heard about and know about some of his other films like In The Heat Of The Night and Fiddler On The Roof, I just haven't either seen them all the way through or have no interest in them at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I loved his body of work just a fine filmmaker. May he R.I.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks