What's new

R.I.P. Ralph Eggleston (Disney and Pixar Animator) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, Ralph Eggleston has passed away at the age of 56 from cancer.

Although his name might not be the most recognizable, chances are you've seen and enjoyed his work. He was a longtime employee of Pixar. He won an Oscar as writer-director of the short For the Birds, which played in theaters in front of Monsters, Inc. He was also art director on the original Toy Story and worked on several Pixar projects up through Soul.

Rest In Peace. :(

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
he leaves behind some amazing work.
You're right. His work has made a big impact and will continue to endure. That probably isn't much cancelation to his family and friends, who are dealing with a huge personal loss. But he certainly leaves a legacy that will outlive most of us.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was looking at his credits on IMDb and they are even deeper than the Variety article mentioned, which only focused on his Pixar work.

His credits as art director include:

• FernGully: The Last Rainforest
  • Aladdin (my favorite movie of all time)
  • The Lion King
  • Pocahontas
  • Toy Story
  • A Bug's Life
  • Toy Story 2
  • The Road to El Dorado
  • The Incredibles
  • Cars
He was also production designer on:

• Finding Nemo
  • WALL-E
  • Inside Out and Riley's First Date?
  • Incredibles 2
  • The Spider and the Fly: The Movie (I'm not sure what this is but it is listed as currently filming.)
What amazes me about this is how closely production on these movies overlapped. FernGully and Aladdin were both released in 1992 by separate studios. Pocahontas was released in June 1995 and Toy Story followed in November 1995. So not only was he going back and forth between mediums with 2D and CGI and working for different companies, he was probably working on some of these movies at the same time. Everything I've heard about filmmaking suggests that making one movie is really difficult, so it sounds even more daunting to be working on two of them simultaneously.

Hats off to him for amazing work.

and here's some more from Deadline:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks