What's new

Big - will there ever be a re-release? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
One of my all-time favourite movies is Big, starring Tom Hanks. However, this DVD was released quite some time ago, and is sorely lacking in features. The quality could be greatly improved too.

Has anyone heard of plans to re-release? Of course, an anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1 would be included...

CraigL

Screenwriter
DD 5.1 isn't always the best...considering this movie would have a "fake" 5.1 track.
as for 16:9, it is available in other countries as such so there is a master available.

I'd love a commentary on this...maybe some deleted scenes.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Good point on the DD 5.1. I'm not so much concerned about that, but a cleaned-up anamorphic re-master would be fantastic.

Commentary with Hanks and Perkins would be cool, and maybe even Penny Marshall too.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I know the Brazilian release is NTSC and is also coded Region 0 and it is 16x9 enhanced, so you might want to look into getting that one. I dont think it has 5.1 or any special features though.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Of coarse!
Not too worry.
However, I do "feel your pain" of waiting for 'proper' release. A movie I watched almost once a week on VHS. Of coarse I only had 75 prerecorded tapes.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member

No, it's not anamorphic. It's the opposite of anamorphic. It's non-anamorphic!

(DDD is wrong.)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I heard there was an alternate ending...

Elizabeth Perkins' character wishes to become young so she can be reunited with Tom Hanks' character

They said it could be seen in the airplane version of the movie.

It'd be a cool extra if it was there.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

This is only a rumor, though.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see as a bonus feature, the "clip" Hanks showed when he hosted SNL, of a deleted scene of 30-year-old Hanks playing in a little league baseball game, then wailing on a kid as he's called "out" after a slide into home. I think that's what happened, it's been a very long time...

Has it occurred to anyone that the actor that played young Josh will be himself, 30 this year? And he looks NOTHING like Tom Hanks!
Of course, if I may hijack the thread for a moment:

There have been a lot of movies in which we've seen child actors play Tom Hanks's character at a young age:

Splash (1984) played by David Kreps, in his only film role
the aforementioned Big (1988) played by David Moscow
Radio Flyer (1992) played by Elijah Wood
Philadelphia (1993) played (in home movie footage) by Philip Joseph 'PJ' McGee, in his only film role
Forrest Gump (1994) played by Michael Conner Humphreys, in his only film role

God bless the IMDB. I think the closest any actress has come to Hanks's 5 kid-as-Hanks movies, is Jodie Foster, with just two: Silence of the Lambs and Contact.

Can anyone do any better?

Sorry, that's a major tangent.
Love me some Big though. First time I ever saw a feel copped on screen. Good times.

CDE,

CS

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Wow, an extra with Perkins wishing to be young would be great! Who knows if it's in existence, but I would love to see that.

Anyone else get a rush when Hanks goes into the toy store? Here I am just turned 28 years old, and I still get excited about toy stores. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Craid, don't forget Haley Joel Osment, also in Forrest Gump.

If you count TV, Kevin Sorbo would come close. They had at least four kids play young Hercules.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I happened upon Davis DVD's announcement of Big: Director's Cut for November 7 for $20 retail. DVD Empire already has it listed. No specs or cover art yet. But this has to be anamorphic widescreen. Right, Fox? And your specs grid will say "anamorphic" if it is widescreen, right?

:crazy:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm 100% certain it'll be anamorphic widescreen.

Of course, all the years of getting so called "Director's Cuts" that turned out to be anything but, makes me cringe whenever I see that moniker now. I wouldn't even begin to know what should be "Director's Cut-ed" in this film, and I really hope they didn't just throw in whatever deleted scenes they could find.

That being said, I also hope that the alternate ending mentioned in the IMDb is on there somewhere (preferably in the deleted scenes section). I only bought the current release (region 2, so anamorphic) about 3 months ago, but since it was dirt cheap I'll consider an upgrade if the extras warrant it, the transfer is improved and it's a real Director's Cut.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Great news. Now that makes 'Big' and 'Home Alone' finally being released 16x9 enhanced this year. :)

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator

In The Man With One Red Shoe, there is a photo shown of Tom Hanks' character as a kid. I don't recall the guy's name who played him (it's not a credit in the film) but I always remember it because he was a friend of a friend at the time the movie came out. I don't think he went on to anything else...

John H Ross

Screenwriter

There's a gorgeous anamorphic version of TRUE LIES out in Japan - and it has DTS sound too! Highly recommended! :)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks