What's new

What are the chances of The Wild Bunch on 4K disc? (1 Viewer)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
The Wild Bunch was released on Blu-ray in 2007 and re-released in 2011.

What are the chances that we will ever see a new 4K scan released on UHD 4K disc? Or has it already been scanned? I'm not familiar with the current state of its source elements or digital scans. I have seen the restored "director's cut" several times on the big screen since its release in1995 and have the Blu-ray, of course. Would love to see it again on the big screen and have it in 4K for home viewing.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Dammit! I read the first half the the header...& then I read the rest of it.

Well it should happen, the film is a (very bloody) masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Of course what Warner really should be doing is a three western 4K Peckinpah set of Ride The High Country, The Wild Bunch & Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid, & who knows, they might just be working on it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Well it should happen, the film is a (very bloody) masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Of course what Warner really should be doing is a three western 4K Peckinpah set of Ride The High Country, The Wild Bunch & Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid, & who knows, they might just be working on it.
I changed the header so people don't get their hopes up for a second or two.:)

I don't understand the love for Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. It's alright, but nowhere as good as those other two great films. I guess that's film appreciation for you. :D

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid is one of those "film maudit" ( or damned film) as the French liked to say. It's one of those films that resonates with what might have been on the edges of the frame and in that split-second between shots. I also love it, but more, I think, for the possibilities inherent in the material rather than what's on the screen.

Of course, the version MGM released to theaters is abysmal, especially that dreadful "audience friendly" ending. But even the "director's cut" isn't very good.

The original script by Rudolph Wulitzer--published in book form in 1974--and written for Monte Hellman, was amazing. But Peckinpah was a very different kind of director, and he ignored or altered what was best about that script. The dialogue that remains, its rhythm and sense of reality and puckish humor and awareness of tragedy, and Peckinpah's pacing, the way he directs the actors as well as his imagery and sense of romantic mournfulness, work against each other in a way that's frustrating to a viewer rather than engaging. Plus the maudit aspect of the production itself: the loss of most of the crew half way through, the influenza outbreak which stopped production cold for a month, the Panavision lens they initially used which mis-registered intermittently and wasn't discovered until lots of footage had already been shot; all that also took its toll.

Still, I think it would be great if instead of watching the director's cut transferred from VHS the way it is now on the DVD, they would go back to the original negative and make a master from that and release it on Blu-Ray. Peckinpah's cut might look a whole lot better, in spite of the occasional lens issues. I don't expect any of this to happen. But it would be nice if it did. But because the initial production was so problematic technically, 4K would hinder rather than help.

"The Wild Bunch", on the other hand, I would love to see in 4K.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is one of the early Warner Bros. Blu-rays that seriously need an upgrade. COOL HAND LUKE, BONNIE AND CLYDE, and THE WILD BUNCH are the first three that come to mind. Let's go, what's left of WB Home Video!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Was lucky to see this in one of the big screen theaters in Chicago back in 1995 for a re-release. Had a great time and it was nice to see this on the big screen.

YANG

Screenwriter
So far i've only seen Universal's pre-70s Classics re-release in 4k but non from any other studios... Probably with participation from CTHV, will drive other studios to jump into the pool?

Real Name
Anand
It’s a beautifully shot and exposed production, that looked superb as a 70mm blow-up.

4k fodder?

absolutely
Agreed. It already looks splendid as is. It, and The Searchers, and the other great Peckinpah and Ford movies, would look splendid in 4K.

These two, plus a revamp of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, and a restoration and release of 7 Women, are what I’m most looking forward to seeing.

Though I’d be cool if Criterion took up the three-cut edition of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (theatrical, Turner preview, and Seydor Special Edition), and Ford’s 7 Women (with 5 excised minutes put back in, as Joseph McBride points out).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Wild Bunch should have been released in 4K UHD in 2019 for it's 50th Anniversary ! :confused: I thought it would be a Sure thing. No .....Ben-Hur, North By Northwest, or Gone With The Wind either. ? Just The Wizard of Oz got the 4K UHD release in 2019 for the Anniversary. :huh: All Big Popular Classic titles that would all sell well.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I wouldn't hold out much hope for this one. WB has been very slow with their deep catalog 4K output. I think they've released maybe 3-4 pre-80's titles on the format so far?

YANG

Screenwriter
The Wild Bunch should have been released in 4K UHD in 2019 for it's 50th Anniversary ! :confused: I thought it would be a Sure thing. No .....Ben-Hur, North By Northwest, or Gone With The Wind either. ? Just The Wizard of Oz got the 4K UHD release in 2019 for the Anniversary. :huh: All Big Popular Classic titles that would all sell welL...
Other than those UNIVERSAL titles available now that we know, TEN COMMANMENT is the one and only classic that we get from PARAMOUNT, non but announced few from FOX, WARNER, MGM... I don't encounter any from 'em...

I'm looking forward to those 70s and older war flicks from Warner(Battle of the Bulge), Fox(the popular 3), Universal(only Mc Arthur and MIDWAY i can recall) as well as others from MGM/UA(Bridge too Far, Battle of Britain) and many others more...
However, re-release in an upgraded format comes with demands and expectations of escalated level of presentation quality not only on the visual part, but also how the audio is re-done to maximize presentation qualities. Especially when most 4K titles are not limited to just DDTrueHD and DTSHD.

So... i guess, it's going to be a test of patience on potential collectors...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not that bothered about a 4K release, just a nice new 4K scan, the scan we have now is downright ancient (with all the old sharpening ect problems of an old transfer), but it doesn't look that bad, I can still very much enjoy the film. Of course I'd happily buy a 4K as long as it contained a standard Blu-ray. Anyway, I hope it happens.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It’s a beautifully shot and exposed production, that looked superb as a 70mm blow-up.

4k fodder?

absolutely

03/03/95
030365wb.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm not that bothered about a 4K release, just a nice new 4K scan, the scan we have now is downright ancient (with all the old sharpening ect problems of an old transfer), but it doesn't look that bad, I can still very much enjoy the film. Of course I'd happily buy a 4K as long as it contained a standard Blu-ray. Anyway, I hope it happens.

I am always bothered by the crappy flesh tones on the Blu...it reminds me of colorization.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I am always bothered by the crappy flesh tones on the Blu...it reminds me of colorization.
Agreed, but I wouldn't describe it as colorization, as those tones lean heavily towards brown, and these look more orange. *Avoids obvious political comment, in accordance with forum guidelines.*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks