What's new

Big - will there ever be a re-release? (1 Viewer)

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
So let's see, we have the option of getting the non-anamorphic transfer of a film we know and love, or an anamorphic transfer of a "director's cut" version we don't know, and maybe won't even like. I wish there was a third choice.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Has anybody heard anything new or concrete about the Director's Cut DVD? This is supposed to be released in 5 weeks, yet there's been no word since the first announcement on davisdvd, and except for DVD Empire I couldn't find any online stores listing this title.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Now it seems the title has been postponed or canceled from its original November 7 street date. No "big" (ha ha) on-line retailer has a definite street date or a listing at all. Under-the-radar for sure.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The weird thing is that except for the short blurb on davisdvd.com I've never even seen an announcement.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hope they finally get the "She's the company Welcome Wagon" line back in the movie! It was cut from the video release because the real Welcome Wagon objected.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm more interested in That Thing You Do!, which I really like and think is underrated. I wonder what the Director's Cut will contain.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
That Thing You Do! Director's Cut?

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

That totally just made my day! Kinda curious as to what will be added, but I can't wait to see!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
DVDTimes.co.uk now has details and cover art. Note that it's no longer called Director's Cut, but extended cut! But since both the theatrical and the extended cut will be present (via seamless branching, I guess) it shouldn't be a problem.

Disc 1: Main Feature

* Theatrical & Extended Cuts
* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English Stereo
* French & Spanish Mono
* Spanish subtitles
* BIG Brainstorming - An audio documentary by Gary Ross and Anne Spielberg using archival audio material of the original creation of the script

Disc 2: Extra Features

* 10 Deleted Scenes with Optional Intro by Peny Marshall
* BACKSTORY: BIG
* Carnival Party Newswrap
* Zoltar Easter Egg
* TV Spots
* 2 Trailers

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Same on other news sites, i.e. no more mention of the theatrical cut. I really hope that's just an oversight.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I am looking forward to this, but I REALLY hope it does end up including the theatrical cut. I watched this so many times as a kid, I want that version on this disc... I'll be hanging on to my original disc until we find out for sure. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Since I did this for the extended That Thing You Do!, I figured I'd also post the changes made for the longer Big now that my review is posted.

All in a helpful spoiler space! :)

3:55-5:10 – Josh’s parents move his sister Rachel into his room; dinner at Billy’s house;

19:17-21:07 - Josh’s parents talk to the police, Billy sneaks out, he and Josh head to NYC;

29:00-29:35 – Josh before his job interview

32:14-34:17 – Susan deals with her secretary and checks out a new toy;

36:20-38:07 - Susan and Paul consult on a failed line, Paul shows he’s a weasel, Scott babbles on the phone in the background before Josh calls his mom;

42:50-43:00 – Josh and Billy count along with bank teller then gleefully leave the bank;

43:45-46:11 – Josh calls home to ask what to use for a stomachache, he sees a dad with a Josh in front of FAO Schwartz, and plays with a toy plane;

52:00-52:22 – Brief shot at the office;

52:42-53:00 – Paul rants about white-collar arrests

58:45-1:01:15 - Josh tells Billy about his letter, they go get a tux, and we see more of the party before Josh arrives;

1:03:00-1:04:40 – We get a few more seconds of Josh and MacMillan as well as other folks at the party plus more of Josh and some hors d’oeuvres;

1:12:44-1:13:17 - Josh and Susan play a game and she prepares to seduce him;

1:19:30-1:22:05 – Josh has a late-night meeting with MacMillan and Susan comes to Josh’s;

1:26:25-1:26:53 - More of Josh and Susan at the carnival;

1:32:13-1:32:30 – Susan gives her secretary a wedding present;

1:33:58-1:34:20 – Billy calls for Josh who isn’t home;

1:34:58-1:35:23 – Josh works on his new proposal and Paul plays with a yo-yo;

1:35:55-1:36:38 – Josh sees kids buy comics and gets his idea;

1:39:00-1:41:35 - Billy calls the office, Josh works on his idea some more, and Billy calls Josh’s place again;

1:44:07-1:44:56 – More of Billy and Josh’s mom as they chat;

1:50:58-1:53:58 – Susan looks through Josh’s wallet, Billy looks for Zoltar, and Susan suspects Josh really is a kid.

Note that some of the above-mentioned sequences include snippets also found in the theatrical cut. However, these are always brief, so almost all the footage is new to this version.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
what about the theatrical ending, that I saw?? (now its referred to as a test ending) but its the one they showed when it first came out to paying customers in los angeles.
in where
***spoiler****
Susan becomes a kid again and the end and shows up
as a new student in Josh's class.
this was the ending I saw, it was special to me, I never watched it again until I watched it on dvd last year with my family and didn't see that ending- I had to do some research at imdb.com.
it felt like a waste of a movie to not have the happy ending I saw when I was 13.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No - all the deleted scenes are segments that also appear in the extended cut. There's nothing exclusive to the deleted scenes area - definitely no alternate ending unless it's an egg...

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
According to the back cover image, it will have BOTH versions!

...and Fox includes the word "anamorphic" to make it known to us that it is better than the previous version! Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks