Bi-Wiring?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Lucas, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I am running Paradigm Monitor 9's for front L/R and a Marantz Sr-6200 reciever. My speakers are set up to be Bi-wired, but as for now, I haven't done it. It's a bit of a hassle to pull the wires through the walls and such. My question, is it worth it? Can you hear a difference?
    BTW, I am running either 12 or 14 guage zip wire. I don't remember exactly which.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. FrankHW

FrankHW Agent

In a word, no. Biwiring being of benefit doesn't make electronic sense, and is usually only promoted as a means to sell more speaker wire. You can hear a difference by bi-wiring if you *want* to hear a difference (i.e. mind over matter), but I wouldn't bother.

Biamplification is another controversy entirely. Do a search in either the Speaker or Amp/Receiver forums on biamping and you'll learn a lot.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I agree with Frank. Don't bother. Out of curiosity I tried Biwiring once. It made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Steve,

I usually tell people to try biwiring because it's a fun, easy, and cheap (assuming you're not using exotic wire) tweak. This despite the fact that you probably won't hear a difference, and if you do, it's probably in your head. It sounds like it won't be an easy tweak for you, so like the other posts, I'd recommend you pass.

-Robb

5. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice. You saved me a lot of work for
    nothing.