What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Atlantic Technology is now shipping what it calls a ‘monster’ center channel speaker, the 8600eC (retailing for $2,300), measuring 68 x 14 x 15 inches. The speaker includes a D’Appolito/M-T-M array with four 6.5-inch fiberglass woofers, two 5.25-inch fiberglass mid-drivers and a 1-inch internally isolated aluminum/magnesium dome tweeter. Designed to complement the voice-matched 8600eLR front towers, the new center channel incorporates a 4th order Butterworth Linkwitz-Riley crossover with bi-wire inputs, and can be ordered in high-gloss lacquered Makassar Ebony or Gloss Piano Black.
The 8600eC employs seven drivers, a crossover with bi-wire capability and acoustic optimization controls matched to the 8600eLR floor-standing models. It also incorporates a pivoting base and compensation controls for optimizing placement and accommodating room acoustics.
8600eLCR-System.png

“With the design of the 8600e system...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That's a monster center speaker all right! I would have expected dual 1" tweeters in a design such as this one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a monster center speaker all right! I would have expected dual 1" tweeters in a design such as this one.
There's a lot of debate over potential phase problems with multiple tweeters, which is why very few speakers have them. I suspect that's why even the mids on these are vertically aligned.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree that is a large center channel but since the drivers are so close together and considering the ends of the cabinet is next to the drivers. I seriously can not see how this cabinet is 68"! I have a center channel with four 6.5" woofers and a 1 3/4" compression hf driver and a 6" X 6" horn. That cabinet is only 36" wide so how is this Atlantic Technology cabinet 68" because I do not see the space around any drivers to explain how it could be 32" or almost twice as wide. I bet it sounds great but 68" wide it doesn't add up and I would be more likely to believe 38" wide. Before posting I ended up checking there website.

Atlantic Technology's website shows the following dimensions:
8600eLR 10.9 x 51.7 x 11.4in The floorstanding L&R speakers pictured above
8600eC 37.6 x 13.7 x 14.5in Center channel

Atlantic Technology 8600eC Flagship Center Channel

I am happy with what I have but would still love to hear that center with the L&R along with there surrounds that are matched to the rest with a good sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks