What's new

bi-wiring. confused?? (1 Viewer)

Mikey.S

Grip
ok ive ordered my ht setup

yamaha rx-630rds
toshiba sd220 dvd
mission m72 cinema speakers (5 speakers)
missoin 70as sub

im still a bit confused by the bi-wiring of the 2 main front speakers.

ok the m72 main speakers have 2 sets of binding posts and are rated at 8ohms along with the receiver output rated 8ohms. how do i wire up the outputs of the reciever to the speakers??

if i wire to both sets of posts will it change the impedance??

i dont want to cause problems running everything off its spec.

cheers mike :b

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Remove the binding strap(s) between the posts. Use either dedicated bi-wire or two lengths of regular wire with banana plugs. Just stay consistent with polarity. The two red + at the speaker get combined into one at the receiver end and connected to the red + at the receiver. Same deal for the black - side.

Ed

Mikey.S

Grip
if i leave the binding post on the speaker and just use one wire rather than bi-wiring will these make the speakers run at 8ohms??

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no effect whatsoever. for another discussion regarding biwiring see this link
out of curiousity, just what are you trying to accomplish?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Chu Gai is correct 100% - bi-wiring does not change the impedance load that the amp sees. If you don't remove the binding strap when you bi-wire, though, bad things will happen!

The only benefit of bi-wiring is to bypass part of the internal crossover/filter network in the speaker and send a slightly less processed or theoretically "purer" signal to the high/mid and low speakers. Some enthusiasts report a slightly more open, detailed, and airy sound, but it will not be a "night and day" difference - subtle is the operative term here.

Ed

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Huh? I don't think that's quite right. When you bi-wire, you're just moving the connection from the jumper back to the receiver's binding posts. You don't get to bypass anything in the crossover.

When you have the jumpers on, each set of binding posts is receiving a full-range signal. So, it has to be able to filter out the lows for the tweeter and filter out the highs for the woofer. This doesn't change just because you remove the jumper. Each separate set of binding posts is still getting a full-range signal.

There are a lot of skeptics when it comes to bi-wiring, and passive bi-amping for that matter. You might not hear any difference at all from bi-wiring. Some people have reported getting the same benefit by simply replacing the jumper w/ a section of speaker wire.

Mikey.S

Grip
cheers for the replys people. gettin a better idea.
so basically as i see it if i use one set of wires and leave the binding post on ill be gettin 8 ohms and if i use 2 wires from the amp and take the post off ill be getting 8 ohms??. my aim is not to end up running the speakers at anything other than 8 ohms. sorry if i sound a bit daft but just want to make sure i dont end up blowing anything in my new toy.
;) ;) ;) :D :D :D
cheers mikey

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Richard:
"The idea with biwiring is to connect the amplifier to the filter halves separately to prevent intermodulation, generated by one driver, to influence the other driver."
The author of this article said it better than I did above; I'm sorry if I confused anyone with my less than accurate description of what bi-wiring supposedly accomplishes.
The website URL is noted below so you can read the whole thing. It was pretty interesting to note both the pros and cons of bi-wiring.
Regards,
Ed
http://www.sonicdesign.se/biwire.html

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
"The idea with biwiring is to connect the amplifier to the filter halves separately to prevent intermodulation, generated by one driver, to influence the other driver."
What he is talking about would happen in the speaker wire, not the crossover. Right?

-rob

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Edward:
cool.

Rob:
I think so.

the woofer coming back to "rest" will create a 'back current' in the signal connected behind it. Which in the case of bi-wiring means that it's only in the 1 wire. But! that wire is connected to the tweeter's wire back at the amp. So, I don't see how it would affect it.

Sure, if you measure what's in each wire while playing, it's different, but is the sound coming out of the speaker *actually* different?? (compared to just having a piece of speaker wire as the jumper.

I've heard of some cases where the jumper was such a bad conductor that it was causing harm.

John Royster

Screenwriter
I'm curious as to what bad things will happen as well. I've used bi-wired before with the straps in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks