What's new

Bi-amping Question-(First Post-Go easy on me). (1 Viewer)

Don Jungwirth

Auditioning
Hello all,

I have been here in the shadows reading and learning from all of you; great questions and answers/responses.
Very informative!!!

I hope that this is in the right place?

My fronts and my rears are all the same models, full range speakers rated 20Hz-20KHz 5-350watts each. My receiver is 100watts X 5, with additional sub-out. No center or sub yet.
My question is with the receiver powering the fronts and rears set to "Large"; am I still missing the "LFE"? If so would it be possible to use the "LFE"-out into another power-amp fed right back into the fronts or the rears?

The fronts and rears are KLH AV5001

12" Woofer
12" Passive radiator
5" Mid's
7/8" Liquid-cooled dome
350W Max Power Handling
20Hz-20KHz Frequency Response
3-Way Crossover

Thank you

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So you're one of them lurkers, huh? Bet you're from California too! Why that explains it!
now if what you're asking is "if I set my speakers to large, and I don't have a sub (just yet) are my speakers getting the LFE or do I have to play tricks in order to do so?" Just set your speakers to large make sure you tell the receiver you don't have a sub.

Don Jungwirth

Auditioning
Thank you for the reply
Would it be beneficial/possible to use another amp fed by the "LFE"-out to add some additional bass to the fronts or rears? I would like to try it out, but I am concerned about the two amps interfering with one-another.
What is wrong with Cal, other than the smog and crime rates??? We like music and HT just as much as the rest of you :P

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Don, we'll just keep this in-state, then.

I'll take a quick run at this. The rcvr's Sub Out outputs a line-level (low voltage) signal containing ALL bass PLUS the LFE track from DVDs. LFE (low frequency effects)is the .1 in DD 5.1

When using the rcvr's bass management circuitry by selecting SWFR on the rcvr (remote setup), this signal is output at the receiver's built-in crossover point be it 80Hz or 90Hz. All bass under this crossover point is directed outbound --- to a sub -- and it needs a separate amplifier. This is the normal way for 5.1 audio with a sub.

As Chu says, with your speakers set to LARGE and telling the rcvr NO SWFR, you are getting all the bass and LFE directed to the big spkrs. You aren't missing anything.

However, with 4 big, identical speakers all set the same, it's like 4 MAINS. Try setting the two rears to SMALL to concentrate your bass punch up front. (I don't know if it makes any difference, but also tell the rcvr "NO" CENTER if you haven't).

bill

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Damned Californians...we got better smog than you do! Good idea by Bill. If you can, and funds permit it, investigate a small sub. The for sale area of htf is pretty active and seems to me that most people are pretty honest about what they're selling.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you can, and funds permit it, investigate a small sub.
Small sub is not quite the whole answer. You need a sub that extends lower than your mains or you are not benefitting as much. You will benefit from off-loading the low frequency work from the receiver to the sub's amp, but if it only goes as low as your mains then you are partially defeating the purpose of getting a sub.
Nothing wrong with Californians :D

Don Jungwirth

Auditioning
Everyone,

Well in that case I will try the "4 Mains" as Small and investigate a Sub. I do have two 15" in a car-audio box, where they face one-another, "band-pass"? I also have a Sansui G-9000 I am having repaired, 165 Wpc RMS. I could use the 15's in the box as a coffee-table, with a polished slab of granite on top? Would this give me good sound for HT, with the mains set to "Small" or "Large"? For music should I turn the sub off and set the mains to "Large"?

Cali; All the way baby
NY; All the way baby
Planet Earth; All The Way Baby

Thanks
Don

PS; who could/should I ask about getting more technical info or even specs/manual on my Sansui G-9000?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks